Chapter-54: Thakuma's Displeasure And Anirudh's Dare

When Bondita became aware of our proximity, she sprinted towards the house without paying heed to my safety advice. I was afraid that she may fall again, but Bondita didn't seem to care about anything and wanted to get out of my sight at the earliest.

"Why?", I questioned myself.

Bondita and I knew each other for years and she had always been very comfortable around me. In fact, we have embraced each other many times earlier, but neither did I feel so strange nor noticed her changed behaviour. If my proximity was affecting her, then I thought it was high time for me to learn what was going on in her mind, because it was indicating towards a new dimension of our relationship which I couldn't even dare to think of. Hence I had decided to gather information about her love at any cost before leaving Krishnanagar.

Meanwhile, Tapur came with a winter coat and said, "Bondita didi had asked to give this to you."

"Winter coat?", I uttered.

"This belongs to Bondita didi. She brought it from London.", Tapur said, "We are sorry that we cannot provide you with proper clothes as we don't have men's clothes in our house. So, didi had asked you to adjust with this."

"Sure, why not?", I gladly accepted the special dress sent by Bondita.

When Tapur left, I caressed the coat for a while and then took it close to my nostrils. It smelled rose. I triumphantly smiled for figuring out something personal to Bondita, before wearing it.

I came across Bondita once again as I stepped into the veranda wearing the winter coat. She glanced at me from top to bottom and giggled. Although I didn't get the reason for her giggle, I naturally became conscious of myself and looked at the dress to make sure if everything was fine. Everything seemed to be okay. Subsequently, I asked what the reason for her laugh was with an eye gesture, when she revealed,

"Forgive me sakha babu, but this combination of dhoti and winter coat is absolutely justifying the name 'Vilayati Babu'."

Passing my fingers through my hair, I smiled awkwardly at Bondita before we got distracted by thakuma's voice. Bondita quickly ran towards the bathroom to freshen up while I went into the hall and stood a little away from the others, not knowing what to do. Thakuma ordered the ladies to prepare dinner and invited me to take a seat near her.

Once the two women left to kitchen, thakuma started off saying, "How is your wife Zamindar babu?"

Though the question seemed absurd to me, it made sense from her point of view because in the past six years I haven't even communicated with Sumati ma. Hence this family doesn't know about any of my life updates. However, I was surprised at the fact that Bondita didn't question me about my marriage. It could be either because she was least interested in my life or she must have sincerely stuck to the agreement that we wouldn't talk about our personal lives until we solve her friend's problem. Whatsoever, I was disappointed that she didn't ask me about my marriage.

Thakuma once again asked, "What happened Anirudh babu? I asked about your wife not your neighbour's."

"I don't have a wife.", I declared.

"Oh God, don't tell me she is dea.."

"I am not married thakuma."

She looked at me perplexed.

Then I continued, "I mean, after annulling my marriage with your granddaughter, I didn't marry again."

"Why is it? I don't think you have any health issues, do you?", she asked.

"No.", I confirmed.

"It is quite surprising then. For all the wealth and power you have, every father would be willing to give his girl to you. Yet, you are still a bachelor.", she expressed amazement.