Chapter-39: Anirudh's Harsh Treatment & Das Family

As I finished writing the letter, I pressed the nib of my pen hard against the letter head, thus breaking it. Along with the nib broke my heart too. I burst into crying reading every word that I scribbled. Ever since the dance fiasco, my life had become tougher. If I alone had to endure all the pain, it wouldn't have bothered me much. However, when I had to inflict the same pain on Bondita, I couldn't handle it. Bondita's final exams were due in a week and showing that as a cause I behaved stricter with her. Initially when I had taken the decision of distancing myself from Bondita, I used to not talk to her much on the pretext of heavy work load, tiredness and her exams. Fortunately she was too much involved in studying that she didn't bother about my changed behaviour. I should act harsh for another one and a half month, after which she herself will move away from me.

I was quite sure that as long as we are at home things will somehow go on smoothly. Once we get into the ship, it will be only both of us and I don't know how I can distance myself from her. "Will she ever allow me to behave like a stranger?", was a question that kept haunting me. "Whatsoever, once her exams get finished, I will think about the other things.", I thought.

My eyes swelled from incessant crying since morning. I didn't attend court as I was absolutely in no mood to go. When I was sitting at the table holding my head, I heard the door being knocked three times. I immediately ran into the bathroom to wash my face as I know that our little detective was waiting for me at the door. Having deeply lost in my grief, I failed to notice the time. When I finally noticed, it was afternoon already and that she had returned home from school.

"She must have come to call me for lunch.", I thought.

I opened the door and found her in school uniform holding a paper. Even before I could ask what it was, she placed the paper in my hand. It was the pre final test paper of Mathematics in which she scored ninety six marks out of hundred. In order to congratulate her, I raised my eyes only to find her scanning my swollen face. Before she could bombard me with questions, I asked seriously, "Where are the other four marks?"

She made an awkward face not knowing how to answer my question.

"Did you eat them up?", I mocked.

This time she got sad and nodded her head horizontally saying no.

"Then why did you lose four marks? I thought I have given you good practice, but it seems the practice is not enough. There is only one week left for your school finals and still you are making mistakes. By now you should have been perfect in everything.", I lectured seriously.

"Sorry sakha babu, anyway I did not lose marks due to lack of practice. Actually I copied wrong digits from the question and solved the sum. Instead of 198, I took 189 and proceeded with the solution. My answer is correct for the digit I have taken and that's why my teacher did not reduce many marks.", she explained proudly.

I tried very hard to control my laughter. She was so good at mathematics that she can solve any sum easily. Yet, this is the mistake she always did, by taking the digits wrongly. She often reverses the digits and start solving. I usually never scold her for this because I am aware that she is thorough with the concepts. All that she needs is a tad bit of patience to check the question twice before proceeding with the answer.

"Leave this and tell me why are your eyes....", she was about to ask but I shouted saying, "I am not done yet, Bondita."

She shivered at this unexpected outburst of my anger. The way she got scared looking at me further broke my already broken heart. I never want to see fear in her eyes but I couldn't help. "Instead of showing over interest in me, why don't you invest your head in books? Always you speak things which are of least importance to you, while neglecting the useful tasks. Why did you lose four marks? Don't you want to get well educated? Shall I cancel your admission in London? Will you stop studying and become normal like other girls?", I went on.