Chapter-93: The Savage Anirudh

I sat on the huge king chair in the courtyard of my house and summoned to meet all our lessees and debtors from Tulsipur. The members of my family including children looked nervous and silently pleaded me to stop whatever I was going to do, but I decided not to listen to anyone. After instructing Bihari to take the children inside, I waited impatiently for my visitors while scanning through their agreement papers and other mortgaged documents.

Subash was present in the scene too. He tried to give me a piece of his mind saying, "Senior, please think once again..."

"Did you check the documents thoroughly?", I cut short his sentence, "I hope there aren't any litigations involved?" The strictness in my voice intimidated Subash, making him respond with a nod.

Although I didn't enjoy intimidating my people, I was helpless because my anger didn't leave me with any other choice.

"This is too much Anirudh. We can't be so mean.", Trilochan kaka dared to say, "What will happen to our reputation that we built through all these years? It's not just about us but your grandfather's good name can also get ruined."

"I never understand where will this wisdom go while playing with other's reputation?", I quipped, silencing my poor kaka.

"Anirudh, you shouldn't be rude to your kaka like this. Apologise right now.", ordered baba.

"I didn't offend kaka or anyone for that matter. I only spoke the truth. And truth is bound to hurt.", I said, with a corner of my mind wanting to say sorry to my beloved kaka.

"Anirudh....", baba tried to argue but I cut him off, "Please baba and kaka; don't even say a word in this matter. You'll have so far seen the soft side of Anirudh; but from now on you will witness his ruthless side. Anyway, wasn't this what you both wanted from me a few years back? You wanted me to be a tyrant zamindar and so I am here."

"That was past, Anirudh. In all these years I have realised how a man should be by looking at you. Ideally, a father should be a son's role model and inspire him to be a better person. But I miserably failed in that sense. Thankfully, Trilochan da managed to make up for my shortcomings as a parent. Today I can gladly say that my son is my role model who inspires me to live like a gentleman. Then what's all this again?", asked my baba, adjusting his spectacles.

In the last ten years many things got fixed, including the shortcomings in my father's character, except his spectacles. They are always loose like the cerebral cells of some people. I had decided to fix them the next time I go for an eye check up or to change my reading glasses.

"Baba, I wish you understand why I am like this. Whatever, I don't have answers for any of your questions at the moment.", I replied coldly.

We then saw people coming along with the panchayat members. Their nervousness was too evident from the way they bowed down and stood at a safe distance from my chair. Still, that didn't satisfy me. I took out a gun from my pocket and placed it on the teapoy in front of me very casually, thereby intensifying their fear even more.

The sarpanch finally ventured to ask, "What's the matter barrister babu? Why did you arrange for such an urgent meeting?"

"With all due respect, I would say, had you fulfilled your responsibility properly, we wouldn't have got to see such a day.", I remarked in a sarcastic tone.

"Anyway", I continued, "Whatever has happened has happened. Let's look at the consequential proceedings now. Aren't you all excited to know what I have planned for you?"

They exchanged glances among themselves before forcing uncertain smiles at me. I gestured Subash to give me the first document and called out, "Ghosh babu, you haven't paid the rent for the last two months. By this evening if you are not present with the amount, I will take back my land."