Confused and Uncertain

"And that's how we got here," Nova exhaled.

She had spent the last few minutes explaining everything to Chris.

   "I'm confused."

   "So am I. But I'm not going to explain it again," She told him as she opened the door.

She inhaled as she looked at her home for what seemed like the first time in years. Everything looked just as she'd left it. She had mixed emotions about this. She almost didn't want to be here. She didn't want to face her father again.

But she had to.

    "Where's Ethan?" was the first thing she said.

A couple of people working around just shrugged and mumbled to each other. She looked at them as one whispered to the other. The other nodded and sped away. She came back with an awkward smile on her face. She tumbled forward and turned it into a bow.

   "He's with Sir," She said quietly.

    "Sir? Who's Sir? You mean my dad?" She asked, confused.

    "Um, no. The king's on holidays," She told her.

Holidays? Why the hell would he be on holidays? Since when?

    "Okay, but who's Sir?"

    "That would be me," A man said, who appeared out of nowhere.

Nova crinkled her nose at him as Chris stood awkwardly in the background, feeling out of place.

    "Nova, I'm so glad I got to see you again," He smiled as he brought her into a big hug.

    "Again?"

    "I haven't seen you since you were little."

She wriggled out of his hug.

   "Where is Ethan?" She asked once again.

   "Him? He's long dead."

   "What!" Nova gasped.

    "I'm joking," The man chuckled.

     "I don't find that funny. Where is he?"

     "Right. Follow me."

She reluctantly followed him, confused and uncertain.

»»»»»»»»»

Sam had spent the last thirty minutes listening to Eris blast at Daniel on the phone. She had begun to fall asleep when Eris finally hung up.

Liam was asleep after hours of pain, suffering, and torture. Otherwise known as, babysitting Liam.

   "He can't come," Eris grumbled.

    "So what now? There's only a matter of time until my mom makes us go back."

    "I don't know how to get my helicopter back. Legally, anyway."

    "And use it to find out what happened to Nova and Elliot," Sam reminded her.

     "Yeah, saving Nova too."

     "And Elliot."

      "And Elliot," Eris sighed.

       "Even though he's the reason my helicopter got missing in the first place.

Eris nodded. "Honestly, can't blame him though. I would steal her too."

They heard the door unlock and knew it was Amelia. They scrambled to the couch and pretended as if the evening had been quiet and peaceful.

      "Hello, girls," Amelia greeted them, tired.

      "How was your evening?"

Oh mom, it was living hell! That animal has to go for the safety of the human race!

      "Peachy."

       "Good," She said as she collapsed in a chair.

       "That was a lot of work. Soon I'll be done and we can go."

       "Soon? Like, how soon?" Sam panicked.

       "As soon as I'm done with all these errands."

       "And did you find anything about those missing kids you were speaking of?" She asked them suddenly.

Sam sighed and shook her head.

Amelia made a sorry face.

    "Well, I'll take Liam from here girls," She said as she noticed him fast asleep.

     "Night," Sam said as Amelia exited the room.

Eris groaned and flopped on the bed.

     "We've got a lot of work ahead of us."

»»»»»»»»»

Nova waiting impatiently for the man, "Sir", to come back out. Chris was still there.

     "Is it just me, or is he taking quite a while?" Nova complained.

     "Here he is," He said as he smiled a fake smile.

      "I don't see anyone," Nova said impatiently.

He smiled nervously at glared at Ethan through the doorway.

He stepped out, waiting for Nova to react.

Chris held his breath as the man walked away quickly.

Nova walked in front of Ethan as he looked at her, equally expressionless. Or at least trying to be. He looked as if he was trying to hold in a laugh.

Nova studied him, pacing back and forth, her poker face still on.

Perfect facial structure? Check.

Glorious eyes that are amazingly blue and yet hazel at the exact same time? Check.

Angelic brown hair that magically turns brownish-blonde when the sun hit it? Check.

Stupid attempt at a serious face? Definitely.

 Nova tried not to laugh as she studied him one last time. He finally let out a laugh that he'd been holding as Nova laughed afterwards. He hugged her as she laughed and exhaled. She didn't realize how much she needed this. They kissed for a quick second and hugged again.

Until Ethan noticed Chris.

   "Who's he?" Ethan asked when he noticed him standing awkwardly behind them.

Nova remembered Chris existed and her cheeks flushed red.

   "Ethan, this is Chris," She told him.

   "He helped me get here."

Ethan studied Chris for a few seconds as Chris stepped forward.

He shook his hand as Chris shook his back politely, Nova smiling.

    "Well, I should probably get going now," Chris sighed.

    "It was nice meeting you, Nova."