Playdate

The bright sun seeped through the windows as Nova groaned and mumbled to herself. She squinted as she opened her eyes slightly. The bright light flooded the room. Ethan shifted ever so slightly, but stayed asleep. Nova closed her eyes again as she laid her head back unto his chest.

 His arm was wrapped protectively around her waist as he slept, his body slightly leaning towards her. Nova figured he had fallen asleep before he could leave, so he ended up staying.

 She had made herself comfortable with the warmth his body brought as it was against hers, so she decided she would be a bit lazy. However, she couldn't bring herself the fall back asleep. The bright light of the sun kept reminding her to get out of bed.

 Frustrated, she groaned lazily as she opened her eyes and attempted to get up. She tried to release Ethan's grip and roll away. But when she did, he just let out a soft moan as he pulled her closer to him. After a few failed attempts, Nova tried waking him up.

  "Ethan," Nova said as she shook him.

He barely budged.

  "Ethan."

  "Hm?" He replied sleepily, without opening his eyes.

  "I need to get up," She told him.

  "No you don't," He replied simply as he started to go back to sleep.

  "Ethan, do not make get the ice again, I swear if you could just let me go...!" She ranted.

  "Good morning to you to," He said.

She gave him an unamused look.

He groaned but reluctantly released his grip so she could get out of bed.

He's going to be there forever, Nova thought.

After getting ready, Nova met Janet in the hallway.

  "Nova, I just heard, I'm so sorry," Janet told her as she brought her in for a hug.

  "Thank you Janet," Nova said as she smiled.

   "Don't worry, it's not that big of a deal. Really not that important," Janet said reassuringly.

  "Pardon?"

   "You can always take the driving test again," Janet said as she smiled.

And that's when Nova realized,

She doesn't know.

Part of her didn't want to tell her. So she could see her the same, and act as if nothing happened.

So all she did was smile and nod.

The morning seemed to move slowly as Nova ate breakfast while scrolling through her smartpad. She didn't have any plans for the day, so she decided today would be a lazy day. She had gotten distracted in her own little world, so much that when the doorbell rang, she nearly fell off her chair.

When she opened the door, Sam was standing in the doorway.

   "Oh, hi Sam!" Nova said, surprised.

   "What are you-"

Then she noticed the child holding her hand.

  "Who's this angel?" She said as she smiled down at him. Sam nearly wheezed.

  "I'm Liam. I know how to spell my name," He told her matter-of-factly.

Then he turned to Sam and pulled on her fingers.

 "Who this again?"

Sam sighed.

  "That's your... Aunty Nova," She said to shut him up.