Late in the afternoon, everyone was calm and quiet. The sun was still out, making the day a warm temperature. Janet read an E-book on her smart pad, and Alex was on a barstool in the kitchen getting a snack. Meanwhile Nova and Ethan were bored and started playing red hands at the table, or what Nova used to call "the hand slap game".

   "Seven to four," Nova said triumphantly.

   "My hands hurt like hell," Ethan whined.

   "Why do you have to hit them so hard?"

    "It's how I play. Get used to it," Nova replied.

Ethan shook his head and smiled.

    "Let's go again," Nova said excitedly.

     "You guys act like children," Alex commented from the other side of the room.

     "Oh, shut up."

This time Ethan put his hand under Nova's. He attempted to hit her hands before she barely missed him.

     "The queen still reigns!" Nova cheered, doing a little dance.

     "How do you keep winning?," Ethan asked, frustrated.

     "It's not how I keep winning. It's how you keep losing," Nova responded smugly.

 He gave her an unamused look that said Wow...you went there didn't you?

      "You guys have been playing that game for almost an hour now," Janet said, lifting her head from the smart pad.

      "Do you have nothing else to do?"

       "You're right," Nova sighed.

 She turned back to Ethan.

      "Snack before continuing?"

      "What kind of person would I be if I said no?" He replied as they did a handshake.

       "When did you guys come up with a secret handshake?" Alex asked, sounding slightly amused.

Nova headed towards the kitchen.

       "This morning when we had nothing else to do."

       "How bored were you?" Alex asked.

      "I think you should know the answer to that," Ethan told him an he joined Nova in the kitchen.

      "You're right. I figured it out when you guys started playing that random game an hour ago," Alex said simply.

     "It's not a game, Alex," Nova said as she rolled her eyes.

Then her face turned dead serious.

    "It's a war."

     "Careful, Nova. You wouldn't want to kill your brother-in-law."

     "Anyways," Ethan said as he cleared his throat loudly.

     "What are we going to make, Princess?"

     "I don't know, cookies or something?"

Ethan nodded.

    "I'm going to go wash my hands upstairs."

She decided to use the bathroom in Ethan's room. Or, she assumed it was a bathroom. She'd never actually been inside.

She hesitantly stepped inside his familiar room, and walked towards the door. She unlocked it to find a relatively big closet. Which was weird, because he had his closet on the opposite side of the room.