Listening

A loud, obnoxious thumping woke Ethan.

He let out groan, quiet enough so he wouldn't wake Nova.

Who the hell has the audacity to knock on the door at 2 in the morning?

He remained still and waited to see if he heard anything. Silence.

Maybe they went away. Hopefully they give up and never come back, whoever they are.

Nova whimpered slightly, and shifted a little. Ethan pulled her closer so he could rest his head in the crotch of her neck, slightly resting his chin on her shoulder. He wondered what she was dreaming about.

His thoughts were interrupted by the loud pounding, following by a couple of rings on the doorbell.

Frustrated, he exhaled and crawled out of back, quietly making his way downstairs.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

  "Shut the hell up, I'm coming," He murmured under his breath.

He reached for the doorknob. But before he twisted it, he started thinking.

What if it's a trap? What if some criminal came to murder me, disguised as some kind of mailman. I'd be the guy who was dumb enough to open the door at 2am. My father would have a speech at my funeral, saying something like, 'Unfortunately, these things happen. He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer anyway. Hopefully his girlfriend will find a better man...'

The pounding continued, even more aggressively.

He shook his head. He was getting delusional. Hesitantly, he opened the door.

  "Took you long enough," Jade said, clearly annoyed.

  "Jade?" Ethan sputtered.

  "I'm here too," Jasmine said, seemingly appearing out of nowhere.

  "What the hell are you guys doing here? At 2 in the morning?" Ethan asked.

  "We just came to say hi, since we just got here," Jade shrugged, letting herself in.

Ethan scrambled behind her.

  "You couldn't have done that at a normal time?"

  "Oh, did I wake you?" Jade asked with a hand on her heart.

Ethan rolled his eyes.

  "Ha. You're hilarious," He said sarcastically.

  "I know."

He looked around.

  "Where are Asher and Mason?"

  "They said they would stay behind," Jasmine told him.

  "Together?"

Jasmine nodded.

Rest in peace, Mason. You'll be missed.

  "Where's Nova?" Jade asked him.

  "Oh, she's still asleep."

  "Well? Wake her up!"

Ethan chuckled.

 "No thanks. I choose life."

 "Ethan, go," Jade ordered.

Ethan groaned as he trudged upstairs.

 "Good boy," She said as if he were a dog.

He made a face at her.

»»»»»»»»»»

  "I can't believe you guys are back already," Nova smiled.