Look Who's Here

"What is that supposed to mean?" Ethan hissed over the phone.

   "How the hell am I supposed to know?" Mason shot back.

Frustrated, Ethan groaned. Quiet enough so Nova couldn't hear.

     "It's probably nothing," Mason assured him.

He scoffed.

    "When's the last time you were right about anything involving the Ultra Weapon?"

    "I was just saying what was told!"

    "Mason, I swear-"

     "Who are you talking to?" Ethan heard Jade interrupt his speech over the phone.

He heard some crackling over the line, and then everything cleared up.

     "I was talking to Ethan," He said quickly as Ethan shook his head and sighed.

Jade gave him a suspicious look.

     "Give me the phone."

He quickly obeyed.

     "Hello?" She said impatiently.

     "Hi, Jade."

     "Where's Nova?" She asked suddenly.

     "Why?" Ethan asked, confused.

     "Because, you're always around her. Unless you're doing something suspicious," She told him.

Crap. She's good.

     "She's in the bathroom," Ethan lied.

Jade stayed quiet for a second before giving the phone back to Mason and leaving.

   "Is she gone?" Ethan questioned.

    "Yeah."

    "You couldn't have told her anything else?"

Mason threw his hands up in defense, before he realized Ethan couldn't see him.

     "I can't lie to Jade, dude," Mason told him.

     "She can see right through me. I swear, sometimes she's scarier than her brother."

Ethan shook his head and laughed.

    "Well, later today you should ask Judith about it. I'm sure she knows," Ethan informed him.

    "Definitely."

     "Oh, and one more thing, Mason."

     "Yeah?"

      "You're telling the girls."

Mason laughed sarcastically.

      "Hell no! You're telling the girls," Mason shot back.

      "Why me? You should tell them. Jade, Jasmine- and let's not forget Asher- are all at your place."

Mason shuddered.

     "You tell Nova and Alex, and I tell Jade and the others," Mason reasoned.

Ethan said something under his breath before he reluctantly agreed. He hung up the phone before sighing and running his hand through his thick hair.

 What now?

All he could do now was wait for Mason to call back and give him more information. And until then, he had to tell Nova.

It wasn't even that big of a deal. But he hated when she started worrying. He knew she hated it when she wasn't in control of the things around her; resulting in putting herself in dangerous situations. And that is what he truly couldn't handle.

She probably already had a hint. She had been acting really strange lately- stranger than usual- and he had definitely noticed. 

He had to tell her tonight. If he told her any later, she would never forgive him.

    "What's going on?" Nova said behind him.

He jumped, startled.

    "Okay, somethings definitely wrong. You're usually the one to surprise me," Nova said playfully.

    "Am I?" Ethan asked.

As if he totally didn't do that on purpose.

She hit him forcefully in the arm.

   "Ow," Ethan whined, pretending that it hurt.

   "God, I think you broke my perfectly toned arm," Ethan said sarcastically.

Nova gave him an unamused face.

   "I'm joking," Ethan grinned as he brought her in for a hug.

His arm wrapped around her waist as her hands ran through his hair.

She started messing with his hair and running her fingers through it. He didn't say anything but gave her a look.

   "There," Nova said, satisfied with her work.

   "That look would cost you a ton anywhere else."

Ethan thought about telling her right then

But she looked so happy. Like she didn't have any cares in the world.

And he really didn't have the heart to ruin that.

    "Ethan," Alex called, his attention on his phone as he walked up the stairs.

Alex was about to continue his sentence before he finally saw Ethan's face. Not being able to help it, he burst out into laughter, barely being able to contain himself.

    "What's so damn funny?" Ethan snapped as Nova started to giggle too.

He sped towards the bathroom with Nova following beside him.

When his eyes met his reflection in the mirror, he immediately put his hand in the hair.

His hair looked like he fell off a cliff, got into a fight with a leaf blower, and then a nest of birds decided to take his hair for rent.

   "What the hell?" He blurted out as Nova cracked up beside him.

   "That's cold, Nova," He said as he tried to fix his hair.

    "Hey, I'm sorry," Nova told him.

But she didn't sound like she meant it, because she was still engulfed in laughter.

    "You look so handsome with you're hair like that, though," She teased in a baby voice as Ethan gave her an unamused look.

    "I look like two pigeons were mating in my hair," he murmured, only making her laugh more.

He had managed to make his hair look slightly better.

   "I'm mad at you," Ethan grumped.

He didn't look very serious, as he was trying to hide the fact that it was funny.

If it had happened to any other person, he would have been long dead from laughter by now.

   "No regrets."

She leaned in for a kiss from Ethan in which he returned, even though he was still upset about the whole hair thing.

But he seemed to forget about that when he remembered what he was thinking about originally.

When they separated, Nova's expression changed completely.

   "What's wrong?"

He exhaled.

   "I need to tell you something."