5. Lord Parsuram

The sun was rising over the horizon, painting the sky with shades of orange. The air was warm and humid, carrying the aroma of spices and flowers from the nearby market. In a modest hut near the outskirts of Hastinapur, a young man was sitting on a wooden stool, his eyes fixed on a bow and arrow in his hands. He was Karn, the son of Radha and Adhiratha, a charioteer couple who had adopted him when he was a baby. He had a fair complexion, curly black hair, and sharp features. His eyes were bright and determined, reflecting his passion for archery and warfare.

He had just returned from his daily practice session with his younger brother Amrit.

Karn looked up and saw his mother humming happily while preparing breakfast. She was a beautiful woman, with long dark hair and gentle eyes. She wore a simple red sari and a lot of gold jewelry, gifts from her husband who loved her dearly. She smiled at Karn and caressed his hair.

Radha :- You're back putr, good now go and wake up those two lazy birds, they will sleep late and then create ruckus when I want rest.

She was referring to Karna’s younger siblings, Shon and Shivangi, who were twins. They were two years old, but they were very active and curious. They loved to explore the house and play with everything they could find. They also adored Karn and followed him everywhere.

Suddenly, the twins came running from behind and jumped into Radha’s lap. They giggled and hugged her, making her laugh. Karn shook his head and went to sit beside her. He loved his family, but he felt restless and unsatisfied. He wanted more from life than being a charioteer’s son.

Karn :- Well, I don't think that's needed, they're just two years of age but see, they reach every corner of house, all the time I need to make sure that gates are closed.

Radha patted their heads lovingly. She knew that Karn was different from his siblings. He had a fire in his soul, a spark of divinity that she could not explain. She had found him in a basket, floating in the river, with a golden armor and earrings. She had taken him as a blessing from the gods, and raised him as her own. But she also feared for him, for his dreams and ambitions.

Karn :- Where's father ?

Radha :- He will be here by the time, but where is Amrit, I haven't seen him yet.

Karn :- Must be with his friends, never stays with me after practice.

Radha :- And why don't you go and play with your friends.

Karn :- Don't have many or specifically, I don't want any.

Radha took a deep breath and eyed her son with a concerned face. She knew that Karn had trouble making friends, they did not let him join their games or activities, and they challenged him to duels that he always won. Karn was proud and stubborn, and he did not back down from a fight.

Radha :- You know putr we are not made....

Karn :- Please maa, can't you just let it be as it is, I don't want another argument regarding the topic.

Radha sighed. She had tried many times to convince Karn to accept his fate, to be content with what he had, to follow the rules of the society. But he always refused, saying that he wanted to be more than a charioteer, that he wanted to be a warrior, a maharathi, commanding the army. He had a passion for archery. He had also heard about the chariot race competition that was scheduled to be organized in Hastinapur, with the chief guest being Bhism, the grand sire of the Kuru clan. His father had managed to convince him to participate, hoping to impress Bhism and get his recognition.

Radha :- But putr, you should think of the society, it strictly against our norms.

Karn :- What to think of the society, today they might oppose me but when I will become a warrior one day, they will be the ones who will bow in front of me. Let them think whatever they want, but I just don't want to be only a charioteer, I want to be a maharathi, commanding the army.