62.1 The Confrontation

Awantika's eyes fluttered open, weighed down by a groggy haze. She found herself sprawled on the ground, surrounded by unfamiliar soldiers who clearly didn't belong to her own army. The darkness of night had already descended upon the forest, making it difficult to discern faces.

The constant sound of flowing water reached her ears, indicating their proximity to a river.

As her vision gradually adjusted, she struggled to identify anyone

As her vision gradually adjusted, she struggled to identify anyone. However, the sinister tone of a familiar voice sent a chill down her spine.

"How long do you think it'll take for your precious princess to wake up ?"

The voice belonged to none other than her arch-nemesis, Prince Danddhar of Ajmer. He appeared to be conversing with one of her loyal soldiers.

As her strength slowly returned, she began to piece together the surroundings. The location seemed oddly familiar, though her memory remained fragmented and unclear, leaving her in an unsettling state of uncertainty.

Danddhar loomed over Awantika, his favored sword swaying provocatively in the dim moonlight. His voice dripped with an unsettling mixture of arrogance and amusement as he addressed her.

Danddhar :- Hey, hey, hey, look who's finally decided to grace us with her presence.

He sneered, his lips curving into that infuriatingly cocky grin.

As he circled around her like a vulture circling its prey, the tension in the air became palpable. Awantika, still groggy from her unexpected ordeal, managed to sit up. Her eyes scanned the surroundings, and it didn't take long for her memory to come flooding back. This was the very spot where they had last clashed, where Danddhar had pushed her over the waterfall, hoping to drown her.

Danddhar's voice sliced through her thoughts as he threw a sword at her feet, breaking her concentration.

Danddhar :- We have scores to settle, remember ?

He taunted, his posture poised for a duel.
Confusion swept across her face. She wondered why he would want a duel now that she was his captive. Her soldiers, bound and helpless a few feet away, knelt on the ground, their eyes filled with a mixture of fear and concern.

Awantika :- Why the theatrics ?

She finally spoke, her voice laced with a hint of disbelief. Danddhar's sinister grin widened.

Danddhar :- Cat got your tongue ? Or are you too shocked to believe what's happening ? Remember what I promised you last time? I'd return, stronger. So, here I am. Won't you say anything now ?

Awantika closed her eyes briefly, taking a deep breath. Her determination began to eclipse her confusion. With resolute poise, she picked up the offered sword and rose to her feet, albeit with a slight wobble.

Awantika :- If this is what you want, so be it.

She declared, accepting the challenge with steely resolve.
Danddhar's laughter filled the night air as he stepped closer, swinging his sword with exaggerated flair. The moonlight glinted off the blades as the tension in the forest deepened, signaling the beginning of a battle that had long been in the making.