11. The Unfortunate Day

In the dim light of early dawn, thin fog surrounded forest area, Karn entered the temple of Mahadev, which was near the village.
Having done the cleaning, he did his puja and bathed Sivling with milk.
When he was about to go, a brahmin entered the temple.

Karn :- Pranam kakashree.

Brahmin :- Kalyan ho Putra, thanks a lot for doing so much. We didn't knew what would have been the condition if it hadn't rained.

Karn :- (smiles) No need to thank me, I just did what I had to, I am a warrior and it's my dharm to fight.

Brahmin took out a bag of coins tucked on his waist and presented it to Karn.

Brahmin :- Putra, this is a small gift from all of us, I know it's nothing in front of what you did for us, but it's all we could gather and collected among each other.

Karn :- (joining his hands) I am sorry kakashree, but I can't accept this and why is everyone making such a big deal of it. I did nothing for you all, I just did what was told to me by my gurudev so you should hand it over to him.

Brahmin :- But putra....

Karn :- If you really wanna do me a favor kaka, then give this to one who really needs it. I have both my arms and legs in perfect shape, I am very well capable enough to feed my family's stomach.

Brahmin :- You passed my test Karn.

Karn :- (confused) What ?

Brahmin closed his eyes and appeared as Devrishi Narad.
Karn just couldn't believe his eyes.

Narad :- On my lord's order, I came here to test about your mindset, because to walk on path of dharm, one should be free from ego

Narad :- On my lord's order, I came here to test about your mindset, because to walk on path of dharm, one should be free from ego. Yesterday in your fight with Devraj, you showed next level valour, defeating him without celestial astras. Impressed by your devotion, Mahadev had send me here to....

Karn :- I apologise Devrishi, but if you're here to reward me for helping the villagers, then I can't accept it, I did nothing for villagers. If you are here to bless me, I will be honoured but I can't accept the reward for doing nothing.

Narad :- If I say that I am here for neither of them, that I too came here to follow my gurudev's orders. Don't think much, stretch your hands foreward and accept your gift.

Karn did as told, Narad raised his right hand and a golden glow came out from it. Suddenly a huge bluish brown bow appeared on Karn's hands, it had extremely beautiful curves, and looked divine.

Narad :- This is celestial dhanush of Mahadev, Ajgav, also known as Pinak.

Karn :- (surprised) Pinak...... Mahadev's dhanush.

Narad :- (smiles) Yes putra, carved by sacred mantras through bones of rishi Dadhichi. This dhanush was given to Mahadev for complete destruction. It is the most powerful dhanush ever created. During your fight with Devraj, you weren't able to use celestial astras, so Mahadev had sent you a gift. This dhanush itself is equal to a million bows, it cannot be broken by any means, it has 5 strings which resemble 5 virtues of a noble man. Sixth string is a celestial one, which cannot be cut or broken by any weapon, this dhanush is charged by mantras so weapons released through it are thousands of times more powerful. It can shoot all type of astras, and its twang is many times louder than thunder, this dhanush will make you utterly powerful among warriors.