61. Seeking Answers

Sumali stood within her uncle Shakuni's chamber, the harsh afternoon sun casting an unwelcome glare across the room. An air of tension hung heavy, signaling an impending storm that matched the humid discomfort. The curtains fluttered occasionally as gentle breezes slipped in, barely managing to break the stifling stillness.

Sumali's gaze was unwavering, fixed upon her uncle Shakuni, who stubbornly kept his eyes averted towards the balcony, as if avoiding direct confrontation. She took a breath, her voice steady as she pressed for answers he had so far denied. He let out a resigned sigh, finally turning to her. His eyes remained resolute, refusing to betray the emotions that lay beneath.

Shakuni :- The answers you seek cannot be confined to mere words.

He said, his tone low and measured. Restlessness overtook him as he began pacing back and forth across the chamber's lavish floor.

Shakuni paused, his gaze searching hers.

Shakuni :- Do you know why I forsake my kingdom, my people, and my duties as a father ?

He inquired, his voice laden with history.
Sumali shook her head, her curiosity piqued.

Sumali :- No, I do not.

He exhaled, his gaze flickering as he delved into the past. His voice wavered with the weight of memory as he recounted a story that was both tragic and haunting.

His sister's marriage to a blind man, his family's imprisonment, and the merciless abandonment of his kin to the ravages of hunger - the tales of suffering seemed endless. He had been powerless, forced to watch his loved ones perish, one after the other.

With a heavy heart, he settled into his chair, pouring a glass of water and draining it in one gulp. The memories were painful, yet he held onto them, tethered by a resolve that had fueled years of pent-up anger.

Shakuni :- I swore vengeance upon Mata Ganga's son, Bhism.

Shakuni admitted, his voice laced with bitterness.

Shakuni :- And I will stop at nothing to ensure his suffering, just as my family suffered.

Sumali's brows furrowed, her concern evident.

Sumali :- You enmity is with the son of Mata Ganga, but why involve the Kauravs and Pandavs? They are innocent in this feud.

Shakuni's eyes flashed with a mixture of desperation and determination.

Shakuni :- You don't understand, I don't want Bhism to die. If he dies, he won't suffer, he will rest in peace, but I want him to endure the agony I was forced to bear. The same way he will see his closed ones die one by one, in front of his eyes.

He explained, his words dripping with vindictiveness.

Sumali :- You're not just hurting Gangaputr Bhism.