20. Yuvraj Karn

Karn :- I'm cursed.

Chirping of crickets could be heard for a few moments as Radha tried to read her son's facial expressions and found nothing but pain.

Radha :- (sighs) Tell me everything from starting.

Karn was still hesistating, his hands shaky, face numb and knees going weak. He looked at his mother for confirmation and she noded assuring.

Karn :- I left home with full confidence to definitely find a teacher and be a warrior, the greatest archer. But, it seemed like destiny had something else in store for me, two years passed travelling across aryavarth and I got nothing but taunts. No matter what I did, no place left I didn't go, no ashram's door remained I didn't knocked, no feets went back before being washed by my tears but it was all of no use. I begged, cried, shouted but for them I was nothing more than a worthless low born insect whose meaning of life was to only serve the feets of brahmins and kshtriyas.

He wiped the tears formed at corner of his eyes and looked at his mother.

Karn :- One day a brahmin told me that I should drown myself in a river for thinking about learning art of warfare, all my hopes shattered, I was left with nothing but dejection, at that time I really felt like an insect, a useless creature crawling on land. I gathered up some leftover of my courage and jumped in a flowing river....

Radha :- What ?

Karn :- (smiling sadly) But fate didn't even let me die peacefully, when I opened my eyes, I was near a shore, a kind man saved and gave me some clothes. I was too depressed that I even scolded him for saving me, he asked the reason and said that if it'll be a valid one, he himself will throw me in the river again. So I told him about my journey, he laughed and adviced me to lie about being a brahmin.

Radha :- What did you said ?

Karn :- I said it was wrong, lying with your teacher is a sin but he calmly asked that were they doing the right thing denying education to you. Even though senseless, his words had a point and I made up my mind that I had to be a warrior no matter what, whatever the consequences maybe but now I just had to do what I felt right. So I changed my getup and managed to get admission in a brahmin ashram and learned all ved shastras for a year, after completing it, I straight away went to bhagwan Parsuram's ashram.

Radha sighed, her son had done a grave sin but she knew that current situation was delicate and being angry would only make it worse.

Radha :- So you lied being a brahmin, putra, a sin done in any condition is a sin and has its consequences.

Karn :- I know, and I realised it later on but didn't had courage to say the truth.

Radha :- Tell me further, how did he find out.

Karn :- It happened one day when...

Then he narrated about that unfortunate day and curse.

Radha :- We can't say that it was completely your fault neither we can say that you were blameless. Whatever happened cannot be changed but where is this girl you were talking about.

Karn :- I... don't know how to tell, will you be able to handle it.

Radha :- I will get to know only if you tell me.

Karn :- Once gurudev sent me to...

He told her about the story of Banasur, Suchitra and their marriage.

Radha :- What ? She is your wife ?

Karn noded looking down.

Radha :- Don't hide anything now, tell me putra.