─ ¹⁵. I'M NOT GONNA SAY 'I TOLD YOU SO'

⚡︎
┄┄ .•* 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟓 *•. ┄┄

𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒊𝒏𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏!

────── *•. ⚡︎ .•*──────

They went down to dinner with everybody else but did not return to Gryffindor Tower afterward.

Harry had the cloak hidden down the front of his robes. They heard the last pair of people hurrying across the hall and a door slamming. Hermione poked her head around the door.

"Coast is clear. Phase one. Completed," Hermione said in a whisper, "Phase two. Cloak."

Walking very close together so that nobody would see them, they crossed the hall on tiptoes beneath the cloak, then walked down the stone front steps into the grounds. The sun was already sinking behind the Forbidden Forest, gilding the top branches of the trees.

They reached Hagrid's cabin and knocked. He was a minute in answering, and when he did, he looked all around for his visitor, pale-faced and trembling.

"It's us," Harry hissed. "We're wearing the Invisibility Cloak. Let us in and we can take it off."

"Yeh shouldn've come!" Hagrid whispered, but he stood back, and they stepped inside. Hagrid shut the door quickly and they pulled off the cloak.

"Wan' some tea?" he said. His great hands were shaking as he reached for the kettle.

"Where's Beaky, Hagrid?" said Hermione.

"I—I took him outside," said Hagrid, spilling milk all over the table as he filled up the jug. "He's tethered in me pumpkin patch. Thought he oughta see the trees an'—an' smell fresh air—before—"

"I'll do it, Hagrid," said Ron quickly, hurrying over and starting to clean up the mess Hagrid made due to his shaking hands.

"There's another one in the cupboard," Hagrid said, sitting down and wiping his forehead on his sleeve.

"Isn't there anything anyone can do, Hagrid?" Harry asked fiercely, sitting down next to him. "Dumbledore—"

"He's tried," said Hagrid. "He's got no power ter overrule the Committee. He told 'em Buckbeak's all right, but they're scared. . . . Yeh know what Lucius Malfoy's like. . . . threatened 'em, I expect. . . . an' the executioner, Macnair, he's an old pal o' Malfoy's. . . . but it'll be quick and clean. . . . an' I'll be beside him. . . ."

"Dumbledore's gonna come down while it—while it happens. Wrote me this mornin'. Said he wants ter—ter be with me. Great man, Dumbledore. . . ."