63

"It's just beautiful." Cecile held my hand delicately that morning, my eyes glued to the ring on my left finger. Joe sat across from me and the seat next to me was empty while Barry was up at picking up his and my coffee. "You know what— it matches the sparkle in your eyes."

I smiled at her widely, feeling as light and as elated I had in weeks. I assumed it was all over my face because everyone was starting to notice how much I was beaming and how my mood had spiked up.

"Barry, your grandfather had really good taste in jewelry." Cecile complimented when he neared our table and sat back down next to me, setting his mug in front of him. He didn't set my iced cold brew directly in front of me, but more off to the side within reach.

"Yeah, he did." Barry smiled and then set a plate in front of me, a brownie resting on the center.

"Yes!" I gasped slightly and wrapped my arms around him, kissing his cheek repeatedly for a moment. "Thank you-"

"I should get back into the habit of bringing you a brownie every morning." Barry softly laughed to myself, going slightly red at the kisses I was pressing to his cheek. "Scones and muffins just don't receive this kind of reaction-"

"You guys are just so adorable." Cecile was smiling ear to ear watching Barry and I. She then leaned in on her elbows and looked right at me. "Okay— I need to know. How did it happen?"

"Well, he came over to the loft and I was already having a particularly good day, so— I let him in." I picked up my coffee and took a generous sip, contemplating how to word it. "I had just found out that day that he could sing— so, we were talking about whether or not there would be a price if I wanted to hear him sing again. I didn't realize I was going to get another performance that night because Barry sang to me. He proposed and- well, the price was one word-"

"Oh, my God, that's so romantic!" Cecile gushed, folding her hands together and tilting her head towards Barry. "You sing?"

"Not as good as Joe." Barry commented, quickly occupying himself with grabbing his mug to sip his steaming coffee when Joe shot him a look. I put my hand on his shoulder and stopped him just before he took a sip of his coffee, blowing on the top a few times to cool it down so he didn't burn his tongue.

Joe fake coughed lightly. "Shut up, Barry."

"Well, okay," Cecile giggled lightly and then looked between us all. "That reminds me— my sister has four tickets that she can't use to Hamilton."

"Hamilton?" Joe's eyes went wide.

"On the house." Cecile nodded eagerly. "I thought that maybe we could make it a double if you guys were interested?"

"Of course we're interested— that would be so fun." I pressed my palms together, my eyes wide and erupting with delight. "When?"

"First weekend in July." Cecile's words were like a wash of reality, making my blood turn into ice and all the delight crack into a look of dejection. Joe and Barry's expressions dropped just as quick as mine did, a tension filled silence coating over all of us that Cecile didn't understand.

Savitar was meant to kill me on May 23rd.

I wouldn't be here.

My eyes met Barry's for just a moment, not knowing what to say. Barry was already staring at me, a look of discomfort and sorrow on his features as he watched all the happiness leave my face and the despondency replace it.

"Does that not work for you guys?" Cecile broke the silence that had gone on for too long, looking between us all and trying to understand why we had reacted in such a way.