9

"There's only two boxes left." Joe exhales deeply, looking back at Barry and I who were seated on the couch, opposite sides, my back against the arm on my side, my feet resting on Barry's legs.

It was about that time of the year, and I had joined Iris, Joe and Barry at the West Household.

I was typing away on my laptop the finishing touches of my new blog post, my feet only resting on Barry's legs because mine were too short.

Barry was watched old Christmas movies while handing off ornaments to Joe as he hung them up on the Christmas tree, waiting for me to finish my article so he could read it.

Iris, was in the kitchen, making us all some eggnog.

"Finished!" I chirped, publishing the blog post, jumping up so I was on my knees, placing my laptop on Barry's lap, "What do you think?"

Barry was smiling, as his eyes read the blog I posted, as I gave Joe ornaments in his place.

I fixed my sweater, looking at Barry a minute or two later, expecting him to be done, but he wasn't, "You know, for a speedster- you're a really slow reader."

"It's your big crossover post- I want to take my time reading this masterpiece." Barry said defensively, referring to it being the post about him and Oliver.

I point at him, handing off another ornament, "That doesn't change the fact that you're a slow reader when you're not speed reading."

"I'm just kidding, I've read it five times already-" Barry broke out into another smile, "It's really good."

I smiled lightly, "Really?"

"Yeah, this one's your best one yet." Barry hands me back my laptop, "I approve."

"It doesn't matter if you did- I already published it." I point out, shutting down my laptop and closing it, setting it on the side.

"You know, at this rate, we'll be finished by easter." Barry said, handing Joe another ornament.

When a devious smile broke of Barry's face, I already knew what he was planning on doing, "Don't even."

Right then, Barry ran around the tree, hanging up all the ornaments in seconds, plopping back down next to me, the smile permanent on his face.

"Okay, the only red-suited dude I want in this house right now is Kris Kringle, you got it?" Joe told him but couldn't help the smile on his face as Barry jumped up and ran around it once more, taking off the ornaments he put up and placing them back in the box, sitting back down.

Iris then walks in, "Uh, these ornaments are not gonna hang themselves."

"Yeah- that's why Joe's hanging them." I winked, handing Joe another ornament.

"Grandma Esther's recipe-" Iris handed us all mugs of eggnog, "Light on the bourbon."

Joe took a gulp, "I always loved her definition of light."

"And the Christmas tradition continues." Joe inhales, answering his phone, "Detective West. Yeah? All right."

"Sorry, kids, the D.A. wants to ask me some questions." Joe hung up and set down his mug, grabbing his coat, "Make sure there's some nog left for me when I get back."

"No promises." Barry mutters, slipping some of his.

I took a sip of mine as Joe left, Iris taking the mugs out of our hands and placing it to the side.

"Hey-" My eyes went wide when she took my eggnog, "What're you doing-"

Barry had the same reaction, "What's happening?"