53

"Kid gets faster every time we test him." Joe said to us as we were gathered in the Speed Lab, watching Wally run on the track.

Cisco cuts in, "Mach 2."

"Already?" Iris looked a bit panicked, sighing a bit, "He just got his speed a few days ago."

I placed a hand on my hip, "How are his vitals?-"

"His running economy, lactate threshold are all way above expected levels." Caitlin looked up from the monitor.

"I think we might have a little prodigy on our hands." Cisco remarked from where he sat, "Like a Wizard of Whiz-"

Iris looks at us, "Guys, I don't want Wally thinking that he's Barry, rushing off half-cocked, trying to take down Alchemy or Savitar the next time one of them shows up."

"Okay, but guys, Wally's not like me." Caitlin pointed out, "He doesn't want his powers gone- we're gonna have a hard time convincing him not to use them."

Iris sighs, "Yeah, well, we have to- until he's ready."

"How?" Joe almost laughed, gesturing to the track.

"By convincing him that he isn't." Iris said, pointing between us all, then at Cisco, "That means no encouraging him, no training him, and you- no talking to him about a suit, please."

"Iris- that's horrible-" I crossed my arms, "He's so excited about his powers- we can't just lie-"

"You have to." Iris says, "It's for his own good."

"Why the hell not?" Cisco scoffs to himself and looks down at his hands, "It's just another lie between friends, right?"

His words made my heart ache.

He was beyond upset with Barry still.

And there was clear tension between he and I.

It made me feel partially responsible, and more importantly, guilty. I hated myself for still being here in Dante's place even if I was aware that it wasn't my fault.

It was meant to be me.

"What?" Wally's voice broke me out of my thoughts, "Still not good?"

"Um, I think maybe we should try again tomorrow." said Caitlin, rubbing the back of her neck, "I can run a few more tests."

"That was amazing." Joe wrapped his arm around Wally, "Dinner's on me- whatever you want."

"Test- test." HR's voice came through the intercom when Iris, Joe and Wally left us, "Fellow Star Labs employees- your presence in the cortex would be greatly appreciated."

"That's tonight? His presentation?" Cisco huffs a bit and stands up, "Great."

"Uh, hey- Cisco-" I blurted out, messing with my hands, "What do you think if, after, maybe we get a drink? You, me, Barry and Cait? For you know- old times sake?"

"I think we should-" Caitlin backed me and stood beside me, "I think it'd be fun."

"Barry?" Cisco stares at me with this look that made my heart drop, "We're just gonna get drinks? Pretend like we're all friends?"

"Nice try." Cisco shook his head and walked away from us, "It ain't gonna happen."

I watched Cisco walk away, a sigh leaving my lips, leaning my head against Caitlin's shoulder, "I told you he hates me- you can just- hear it in his tone-"

"He doesn't hate you, Zee." Caitlin wrapped her arm around me and rubbed my arm comfortingly, before walking with me slowly, "Come on-"

-