22

"The rare opportunity to go back in time and right a wrong and save your mother's life quite the paradox Harrison has presented you with, Mr. Allen." Professor Stein exhales deeply.

"The chance to be with someone you love?" Caitlin stood next to Ronnie, "Seems pretty cut and dry to me."

"At first blush, Dr. Snow, it would appear so, but- this gift has unparalleled risk." Professor Stein said to her.

Professor Stein inched closer to Barry, "Barry, the night your mother died, the night you saved yourself from being killed, that event altered the timeline you were already on and changed the course of history."

"So- what you're saying is we're living in a parallel universe?" Cisco questioned, as Professor Stein nodded.

Barry exhales, "Just like when I time traveled before."

Joe pointed out, "But- he only changed one day that time."

"Exactly." Professor Stein nods, "Now imagine 15 years of compounded experiences- one different decision, no matter how big or small, impacts everything that follows."

"Moments upon moments, choices upon choices." Professor Stein continued, "No relationships, nothing would be as it is today, and you'd never know the difference because you'd never remember any of it."

"So- if I go back and save my mom, my dad doesn't go to prison." Barry thought out loud, "I never live with Joe and Iris."

I looked up, "You might never meet me."

"Or me-" Cisco adds in, "Or Caitlin or Ronnie."

"Truth is, there's no real way of knowing what your life will be." Professor Stein honestly told us.

"There's no choice here, Barry." Joe sounded like he could burst out into tears as he grabbed his coat, leaving the cortex, "You have to do this- you gotta change the past."

-

"Hey-" I softly called out to Barry Allen that night when I found him on the roof of my building, "Thought I might find you here."

"I needed to get out of the lab." Barry exhales deeply as I walked over to him, "I thought this would be a good place to think."

"It is- trust me." I came to his side, both of our arms resting on the ledge, crossed, "I've done a lot of thinking up here."

Barry looks at me, "Yeah?"

I quickly added in, "Oh, you know- when I wasn't having clandestine meetings with the mysterious streak."

Barry broke out into a small smile, "Yeah, not mad we lost that name."

I began to giggle quietly at the thought, "Hey, I thought that had pizzazz."

Barry bursted out into a fit of laughter, "No-"

It got silent between us when our laughter died down, as we looked upon the city.

But, I broke the silence, my voice quiet as I looked at him, "So- are you gonna do it?"

"It's just so- huge." Barry sighs deeply, "It's the biggest decision of my life, and if I'm wrong, I can't undo it."

"But- why would you want to?" My eyes scanned his expression, "You'd get to see your mom again, your dad, have a great career, have the family you've always wanted, even get married."

Barry immediately looks at me at the mention of marriage, his eyes locked with mine.

"Zee Allen, huh?" My voice lowered, the corner of my lip turning up lightly, "We never really got around to talking about that."