Catradora x LOK!Reader

You stood beside your mother quietly as she wept. You held the only dry eye as everyone around you cried. You wanted to cry, you wanted to do more than cry. You wanted to yell, scream, anything but someone needed to be strong. You looked to the other side of your mother and made eye contact with Kuvira, who gave you a worried and solemn look as she held tightly to your mother. Avatar Korra's death had been unpredicted. When you were younger, you swore up and down to anyone and everyone that your mom, Avatar Korra, could move literal mountains if she wanted to. But time and age always came with wear and tear. You blamed yourself a lot for your mom's untimely death. You berated yourself nightly since her death that if you had just picked up the phone and put down your work for 5 seconds that you wouldn't be in the South Pole saying your final goodbyes. The world had just lost another Avatar and was already expecting a new one, while you had just lost a part of your family that would never be replaced.

---

You lost track of time, missing how your mother tried to get your attention before eventually leaving, you didn't notice that people had started to leave. You seemingly awoke from what ever trance you were in as the door slammed shut as the last person, other than yourself, left the room. That's when you finally let the tears fall. You prayed to the spirits or anyone listening one last time to switch places with your mom or let you at least be able to see her one more time. Of course, none of your prayers were ever answered and you left the room feeling the same amount of grief that you felt when you entered.

---

You stumbled into a giant house that held everyone who traveled to the South Pole for the funeral, drunk out of your mind. You weren't an alcoholic by any means, only drinking at necessary times and functions, but you wanted to forget. No one commented on your appearance, hair disheveled, eyes red, dry tear stains clear on your cheeks. Asami tried to say something, desperately wanted to say something, but Jinora stopped her before she could. It was clear that you needed time to yourself before they told you what they had just found out.

---

You arrived downstairs the next morning, clearly hungover, but a lot more approachable than you were yesterday. You gave your mom and Kuvira a kiss on the head as you went to grab a cup of coffee and sat down at the table across from them. "Morning." Kuvira and Asami greet you before sharing a look. "What?" You say as you look between them confused. "There is some news we figured you should know before we return to republic city." Asami wrung her fingers together nervously, obviously something big had happened or was happening. The last time you had seen either of them acting nervous was when both your moms had told you they started seeing Kuvira, mutually.

"We got news from all the nations yesterday and got some worrisome news..." Asami started and Kuvira squeezed her hand in comfort. "The day Korra died, no one and I mean absolutely no one gave birth." You were dumbfounded, "What?" Kuvira nods her head before continuing. "When we first got news from all the Earth kingdoms and provinces that no one gave birth, we assumed that maybe that an earth bender birthed a child in another nation since people have been moving around more and more but its like the whole world decided to have a baby shortage." Asami slides you the letters that they got from everyone. "Iroh said no, Opal said no, Earth kingdom president said no, Iknik jr said no, no, no, and no." You were completely shocked. "How does no one manage to have a child on the day the avatar dies!?" Asami and Kuvira both reach over the table to grab your hand in hopes of calming you down.

You take a deep breath, "What does this even mean? I know mom accidentally erased all the past avatars but she was still connected to Ravaa and the cycle still should have continued." You rubbed your head in confusion and stress, a bad habit you picked up from working long days in the office with your mother. You had hoped for a few more days to deal with your grief and at least find a new normal to live now that your mom was gone but that had to wait. Not only was the world waiting for another Avatar that will never come, you had to figure out how to protect the world from what was to come.