Epilogue

Three Years Later

Britain felt nostalgic as she walked into her twentieth birthday party in her backyard. Memories from a party that seemed like just yesterday rolled into her brain. More people were at this one, she realized. The one person that really mattered had their arm around her waist. Luke, even though three years older and more confident, still never wanted to let Britain out of his grasp. Everyone knew that if Brit was there, Luke would be there too.

She waved hello to some of her friends that were in her college journalism classes. Her brother was there also, and she pulled away from her boyfriend long enough to pull Michael into a hug. "Brit! You saw me yesterday. Just because we don't live in the same house anymore doesn't mean you can hug me every time you see me!" He greeted his little sister, but returned the embrace. Britain hated that she was still living off the charity of her parents, (who hadn't even shown up to the party) and she desperately wanted to get her own place with Luke. Even though he lived with her in the house, they both wanted a home to call their own. They just couldn't swing it yet, Britain in college with high loan rates.

Brit also saw Hannah and Ashton across the yard, snuggled up to each other. They were deep in conversation, whispering in each other's ears. When they looked up and saw Britain, they immediately closed their mouths and waved. She found this strange, as every other guest that she went up to didn't say a whole lot to her other than happy birthday. She waved it off, maybe they were just scared they would tell her what they got her for her birthday. Brit clung to Luke, who was rambling. Even if she hadn't been dating Luke for three years, everyone knew when he rambled he was nervous about something.

These things didn't add up right in her brain, but maybe she was just freaking out because she was no longer a teenager.
**************
Luke was nervous, to say the least. He could feel the ring box in his pocket. He knew that for sure, because he checked to make sure it was still there every five minutes. He hoped Britain didn't suspect anything, but he was pretty sure she did. He had told Michael, Calum, Ashton, and Hannah, and they all tightened up when Brit went anywhere close to them. Luke had been rambling all night. His palms were shaky and sweaty. And every time he looked at Brit or her body, his anxiety grew. Why did her ass have to look so good in the short skirt she had on?

It took all he could not to ask Britain during the day or the night before. For some reason, asking in front of people made him even more nervous. Maybe it was the thought of all the witnesses if Brit said no to him. Luke shook it off and continued to talk to Britain in a rapid-fire method.

He held on to her all night, and he thought he would never find a girl who fit into his side as well as Brit did.
***************
Something had been up all night. Calum wasn't his normal talkative self, Hannah wasn't gushing over how cute Luke and Britain were, Ashton wasn't messing and kidding with Brit, and Mike wasn't coming up with snarky quips about Britain and Luke's relationship. The only thing Michael seemed to be able to do was give her an all-knowing smirk she had grown used to in her twenty years. No matter how hard she pushed for her closest friends to talk, they locked their lips tight when she came within a foot of them.

Luke was going on and on about how nice Brit's new friends were, how the food was great, and how hot she looked tonight. Britain didn't mind the latter, but when she would give him the shut up look, he just kept going. She loved Luke with all her heart and soul, but it was really about time he put a sock in it.

It was time for cake-cutting. Britain stood behind the dark purple cake as the guests sang her happy birthday. Luke, Michael, Ashton, Hannah, and Calum stood in the front of the small crowd, clapping and smiling away. She distinctively remembered how Ashton hadn't been here for this three years ago, and how her and Luke had their lips attached before Mikey came and got them. She smiled as she blew out the candles.