Surprise Reactions

Ashton's POV

" Dude, what the hell! You know that I like her!" I yelled at Luke.

"I didn't know! I swear! When I said the other night in the car that you didn't think about Brit too, I was kidding," he explained.

I was so mad at him. He took the girl of my dreams. I was even more mad that she chose him too, but I could never be mad at her directly.

"I made it pretty obvious how I felt about her, Luke!"

"I'm sorry, man. I really didn't know."

"For such a smart guy, you sure don't know shit."

"Hey! I told you. I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to happen this way! I thought that you and the other guys would be happy for me. Cal and Mikey are. Why can't you be?" he asked exasperated.

"I can't be happy because you took the girl I love!" I screamed.

"Oh," Luke replied quietly.

I could feel hot tears beginning to pour down my face. The anger was starting to pass, and it was being replaced by crushing sadness. Right now, all I wanted to do was punch Luke's stupid little face.

Before I thought it through, I saw my right hand connect with his jaw. He stumbled back grabbing his chin. Odds are he stumbled back outside into the party.

Britain took one glance at him and ran to his aid. This made the anger return. I ran and tackled Luke taking him to the ground. He rolled over on top of me and pinned me down. Curse his strong arms.

"Ash, stop! We're best mates! Best mates don't fight like this. I really am sorry. I didn't know," he tried to convince me.

"Fine, just get off of me," I grumbled.

He got off of me, and I stood up. I brushed myself off and looked at Britain. She looked positively stunned.

"Brit," I tried to start.

"Ash, why? Why would you do this?" she said trying not to cry.

"It's complicated, Brit. I can't explain it right now," I said.

"But why can't you explain it? I'm your best friend. You can tell me anything, Ash, and you know that," she said quietly.

"I know I can, Brit, but what I just did has a long story behind it, and I just can't explain it right now. I'm sorry for ruining your party. I'll just leave now," I said defeated.

I turned around and walked quietly away from the party. I was so stupid. I should never have tried to open up to her. I should've known someone better would catch her eye. I just isn't know it would be my best mate.

I get to the door, and I'm about to walk out, but I hear a small voice.

"Ashton?"

I sighed and turned around to see Brit standing there, tears streaming from her eyes. She looked just as broken as I felt.

"Brit, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to happen this way," I say running a hand through my hair.

"Mean for what to happen? You didn't mean to beat up your best mate? You didn't mean to cause a scene? You didn't mean to hurt me?" she asked.

"Of course not. I never meant to hurt you, Brit. I would never do that. You mean far too much to me," I said.

"Then why did you do it?" she asked again.

I sighed, "I can't tell you. It's better that you don't know now that you're with Luke. It was foolish of me to think it could work," I said shaking my head.