Kanari's Timeline Pt. 3

Five days had passed. Kanari had been attending the ninja academy and living as Kanari Harashi in this weird timeline where she somehow ended up as her father's classmate when he was six years old.

The exit exam to become genin was in a few of days and Kanari was dreading fast-approaching day that Sakumo Hatake, her grandfather, was going to end his life. She couldn't do anything to stop it. She couldn't warn her father, she couldn't call the Konoha police and tip them off. She couldn't do anything.

She had to let it happen, otherwise it would be too major of a change in Kakashi's life leading to an overall likely drastic change to the future.

'I really hope someone landed in the right timeline and saves my dad before grandpa dies so this jutsu will break and I don't have to experience that.' Kanari thought to herself as she laid on her futon in her room at the Hatake residence.

"Kakashi! Kana!" She heard Sakumo's voice call out from the front door,"I brought some food home!"

Despite thinking Kanari was a random kid stranger that ended up in Konoha, Sakumo was extremely kind and welcoming to her, treating her as if she were his own child. He bought her food, clothing, got her signed up for the academy. Sakumo for an unknown reason felt inclined to help this little girl, he started to accept her as part of the family. Hell, to him she felt like a part of the family when he first met her.

If anything, he was happy Kakashi had a friend around the house. One that eerily shared their features and hair color.

Kakashi and Kanari both ran out of their rooms to the kitchen, where Sakumo was setting out boxes of takeout.

Back in her real timeline, Kakashi always had the family tradition of ordering takeout on Fridays for a special treat for the family. He would either bring food home or take them all out to a restaurant.

Kanari never realized this tradition originated from her grandfather, as he explained every Friday without fail they would eat out.

In fact, Kanari was surprised at how much her father learned from Sakumo on how to be a dad.

She loved her dad, she had always been attached to him, even as a baby. She thought he was funny and goofy even though he told stupid dad jokes all the time that would make her roll her eyes, she felt safe and protected when he was around, she felt like she really progressed in her training as a Kunoichi with him, she felt like she could go to him for anything.

She had that feeling with her mom too, but it was always moreso stronger with Kakashi. And she had felt so isolated and heartbroken since he died. Her feeling of protection disappeared, she missed his stupid dad jokes, she missed the way he would called her "baby girl" and "my girl" and "peanut" and "pumpkin" and "princess" and "sweetie" and all the other multitude of nicknames Kakashi had for his daughter. She missed how he would almost always drop whatever he was doing at work when she'd visit him the Hokage's tower just to go see him and bother him. She was born after the war, but she was smart and knew how big of an impact that war had on the world. And she was so proud of her dad for being an integral part in not only ending the war, but rebuilding the world afterwards.

They had an extremely close father/daughter bond, and it all got ripped away from her in the blink of an eye. She missed him so much, she cried every time she thought about that fateful day she watched him bleed to death in front of her.

It was weird, seeing him as a child, being treated by Sakumo in the same way Kakashi treated her. His mannerisms were the same, the way he spoke was so similar. It was odd getting to know and spend time with her grandfather after having only seen him in pictures around the house and hearing stories of the legendary White Fang of the Leaf.

It was also weird getting to know Obito and Rin, two people that gave Kakashi his Will of Fire. Two dead people from his past that shaped him into the man and father he was back in her real timeline.

It was all just odd, but it gave her a chance to really see where Kakashi was coming from and what he experienced as a child.

"What's say we go stargazing tonight?" Sakumo suggested as they all finished up dinner.

Stargazing, another activity Kakashi would do with her, her mother and Kai quite frequently.

"That sounds like a lot of fun, dad!" Kakashi responded excitedly. He loved Sakumo so much and always got happy when he got to spend time with him. After all, he was a valuable Leaf Shinobi and worked a lot, even though had been getting a lot of pushback and criticism for his actions on his last mission.

"That does sound like fun." Kanari replied with a smile, trying to hide her breaking heart at Kakashi's giddiness that was going to soon be shot down in a few days time.

"Alright, get your shoes on, we'll head out." He replied standing up.

Kakashi and Kanari slipped on their sandals.

They headed out to the forest to stargaze, almost like a little family. A family that Kanari was simultaneously familiar and unfamiliar with. But she was happy she just got to spend time with Kakashi again, even if this was long before he would ever become her father.