Kai's Timeline Pt. 4

"Have you heard back from your mother at all since you sent that letter, Kai?"

Kakashi was in the kitchen, cooking dinner for him and his son.

Thirteen days had passed since Kai arrived in this timeline. And although he blundered at first, telling Kakashi that he was his long-lost son, he was unbelievably happy that he got to spend every waking moment with his father these past two weeks.

Kai harbored so much guilt for the way Kakashi died, he felt like it was completely his fault. And after his death, he had a massive hole in his heart that would only ever be filled by his father's love and attention.

Kai reminisced on the days he spent with his father back in his real timeline.

He had nothing but good things to say about his dad. He was a strong Shinobi, an honorable Hokage, and such a goddamned good father. When he was struggling with the didactic portions of his academics, Kakashi would patiently sit with him at the kitchen table every day after school and tutor him. If Kai didn't understand it one way, Kakashi would explain it in a different way. If that didn't work, he would show a visual example. If that didn't work he would have Kai move through the steps himself while he explained it.

Kakashi would come home mentally exhausted from his days at the office, but he'd fight his exhaustion and bend over backwards to make sure his son did well in school. And eventually Kai succeeded and was at the top of the class when he graduated and became a genin.

He remembered when he was little and he would scrape his knee on the concrete or something of that nature, Kakashi would gently clean his wound and patch it up before his mom could do some basic medical ninjutsu on it.

He remembered how Kakashi meticulously painted Kai's room the exact color of green that he wanted it to be.

Kai felt like his dad provided him with everything that any kid could ever want or ask for.

These past two weeks, Kai spent every waking minute with Kakashi. Everyday they went on a morning and nightly walk. They played games together, sat and talked, Kakashi taught him how to cook some things, did puzzles, went to the park. He even just started sleeping in Kakashi's bed so even when unconscious he could be near him.

Kai had enjoyed these past two weeks where he got to be his father's son again, or at least some version of his father's son. It relieved him to know that Kakashi loved and treated him the same regardless of the time change, but Kai was struggling with a whole new demon.

This would all be over by tomorrow and this may be the last time he'd ever see his dad. As his dad. The last time he'd ever hear him call him "bud" or "buddy" or "champ" or "big guy or "son" or "chief" or even just simply hear him call him by his name.

Kakashi over the past two weeks as he got to know Kai absolutely fell in love with the kid. In no time, he genuinely saw him and accepted him as his son, his own flesh and blood. He spoiled the shit out of him during his time here, maybe to subconsciously make up for the fact that he felt bad for not being there the first six years of his life.

But considering Kai had messed up so bad in the first place, a week in he "sent a letter" to his "mother" asking her when she would arrive in the Leaf Village so Kakashi could make preparations for her arrival as a way to cover up his mistake and not alter the future.

Sure Kai made Kakashi a father in this timeline by accident, but the more he thought about it, Kai realized that this was all fake. The truth is, Kakashi was his father, but not in this timeline. Luna Kuraku being his mother was a lie, Tsuki was in Orochimaru's captivity during this time, and Kai didn't even exist yet technically. He hoped his logic would prove that he didn't make any major changes in the future, since this would all revert back at the end of the two week mark.

Before Kai could answer Kakashi's question there was a knock at the door, Kakashi opened it and two ANBU handed him a scroll before disappearing.

Kakashi skimmed over the scroll and sighed.

"What is it, dad?" Kai asked.

"The Fifth Hokage has requested my presence at her meeting with village leaders. I'd have to leave tomorrow if I'm gonna get there in time." Kakashi said,"But I don't wanna leave you here all by yourself, Kai. Especially if your mother hasn't gotten back to you."

Kai got lucky, this would be the perfect opportunity to make his exit.

"Well why don't you finish dinner and I'll go check the post office to see if she sent me a messenger hawk back!" Kai said.

Kakashi nodded,"That sounds like a good idea. I mean I have to go on this mission but I'd like to know what's going on with your mother first."

Kai nodded and walked into town to pass by the post office. He told Kakashi he sent a letter to his mother explaining that he made it to the Leaf and found his father. He never actually sent anyone anything, but it was preparation for his escape plan. After the grabbing some pen and scroll paper, he wrote a fake letter, making the lettering different to his own writing and brought it back to Kakashi.

"She wants you to go back to the Takumi village?" Kakashi asked,"Why doesn't she just come here?"

Kai handed him the fake scroll, Kakashi had no reason to not believe his son so he trusted that this letter was real,"She wants to move here because she feels bad that she kept me a secret from you, so she wants to live in the same town as you so it can be easier for me to go back and forth!" Kai lied through his teeth.

Kakashi read over the letter,"She wants you to go home and help pack and move all of your guys' stuff here?"

"Yup!" Kai said with a pained smile, he hated lying to his dad, and he hated that reason he was lying was because he was going to leave him behind forever.

Kakashi pulled out a map,"Actually you see this fork in the road here? We can leave tomorrow together, I can walk you most of the way there and we can separate here so I can go complete my mission and you can go back to the Takumi village with your mom. I mean since you made it all the way here on your own I trust you can make it back a third of the way by yourself."

Kai breathed a sigh of relief, it was all coming together,"That sounds perfect, dad!"

"Okay, well let's eat dinner and pack for the trip, we'll leave around mid morning tomorrow."