Kakashi's Afterlife Pt. 6

Kakashi stared at the pathway leading to the Hidden Leaf's cemetery on the other side. His dad's explanation of living in the afterlife rang in his head.

'We live like normal here. But we can only connect to our loved ones through the cemetery. It's hit or miss, sometimes we can see them sometimes we can't.'

"Are you alright, dear?" Nozomi came up behind Kakashi and stood next to him, rubbing his arm, encouraging him to vent his feelings.

Kakashi felt like a little boy around his mom, he had an instant connection with her as they talked for hours the night prior before dinner. He trusted her wholeheartedly, he loved her, he wished she was alive when he was. But nonetheless, she was here now, ready to comfort her son at the drop of a hat.

Kakashi let a tear run down his face as he sniffled and hunched over to rest his head on her shoulder as he leaned over their pickett fence.

She was literally his shoulder to cry on in this world.

He was struggling so much with the emotions he felt. He was so happy with the people here in the afterlife, but he felt guilty that he had to leave his family behind to experience it.

The juxtaposition rolled around his brain, reeking havoc in his mind, causing a mix of jumbled emotions he didn't know how to sort out.

"I'm scared, mom." Kakashi said through the tears,"I want to see Tsuki so badly but I'm scared to face her. I feel like she's gonna hate me for leaving her and the twins."

"Kakashi, you're quite the overthinker, aren't you?" Nozomi said.

"Why do you say that?" He asked.

"You died protecting your son! You really think Tsuki's immediately going to be mad at you for doing that? Sure it's going to be hard for her. Sure she's going to feel a plethora of emotions, maybe including hate and anger. That's all part of the grieving process. A process that need I remind you, that you are also going through, despite you being the one that died! But I guarantee you that Tsuki does not hate you for giving your life for Kai's. Just like your father didn't hate me for dying in childbirth. Just like he certainly didn't blame you for my death. Death is a part of life, even when it comes prematurely. As a Kunoichi, Tsuki knows that... She has to."

"I guess you're right, mom.." Kakashi gathered himself and stood up straighter.

"Just go to the cemetery, maybe you'll get lucky and see her right away...." Nozomi encouraged her son.

"Right... Tell Takeo I'll be back soon." Kakashi waved as he made his way down the path.

The afterlife was so odd, everything about the Leaf village was the same, but instead the residents were made up of the dead instead of the living.

Kakashi strolled around the cemetery, heading the Takeo's gravestone assuming Tsuki would have buried him in the next plot over.

He sat cross legged in the grass, reading one of Jiraiya's new novels called MakeOut Breakup, as he patiently waited for his wife to sit in front of him.

After about an hour he heard a rustling in front of him, and looked up, his heart breaking as he saw Tsuki, with baggy, red eyes, a puffy face, hair haphazardly thrown into a bun, wearing one of his long sleeve black shirts and leggings, clearly not giving a single fuck how she looked.

Despite her ragged state, Kakashi still thought she was glowing, he was just happy to see her face, but sad to see how broken she looked.

"Tsuki!" He reached out to caress her face but his hand passed right through her,"Oh God Tsooks, I'm so sorry."