Shikamaru's Timeline Pt. 1

Shikamaru passed by a window of a storefront in Konoha and peeked at his reflection.

'I look pretty much the same...but also not at the same time? What era did I land in?' he thought to himself.

He walked to a familiar place, somewhere he visited often. The grave of Asuma Sarutobi.

He sat cross legged in front of his headstone.

"Hey Asuma-sensei. Don't mind me visiting you yet again.." Shikamaru started his one-sided conversation,"I hope you're doing good in the afterlife. I'm just over here on the same bullshit as usual, time-traveling to try and save Kakashi-sensei. That's right, he became Hokage and got assassinated. I know these things happen often, and we all put our lives on the line as ninja. But Kakashi-sensei is genuinely important to the world. And he's the guy that helped me avenge you..so I feel like I owe him one. Plus it was just terrible seeing Lady Hatake so depressed."

Shikamaru was silent for a while, as if he were giving Asuma's soul a chance to respond to him.

"I wish I could go back and prevent your death, but that was too long ago, and would change history too much... This thing with Lord Sixth happened a little over a month ago so it was a short enough window to where we could change it." Shikamaru saw two figures out of the corner of his eye walk up to another gravestone.

He turned to look, it was Kakashi and Tsuki, visiting the grave of Sakumo Hatake and Tsusuri and Misaki Kuraku, as they often did.

Kakashi had his arm wrapped around her waist, their backs facing him. Shikamaru saw past them a bit, but something looked off.

'Wait, there's a headstone missing...' The gears in Shikamaru's head were rolling as he quickly deduced which time period he was in.

Tsuki turned around and he saw her.

She was pregnant!

'This is before she miscarried Takeo! So what 2 years ago more or less?'

"Hey Shikamaru!" Tsuki called and waved him over.

'Shit, I've been spotted. I better play this off.'

He reluctantly walked over.

"Shikamaru, are you back from your vacation early? Where's Temari and Shikadai?" Tsuki asked.

'This must be when we visit Gaara and Kankuro in the Sand Village for a couple weeks. So my real body is still there with Temari and my son.'

"I wasn't feeling well so I decided to just come back home to rest a bit before I returned to work." Shikamaru quickly came up with a believable story.

"I see." Tsuki said with a smile,"Well Kakashi misses you. He's been struggling since you've been gone."

"Hey! I have not!" Kakashi defended himself.

"You know I'm just kidding, dear." Tsuki teased him.

"How many months are you now, Lady Hatake?" Shikamaru said looking at her pregnant belly.

"Ahh, it'll be eight months in about two weeks. Then only four more weeks and I'm making this kid vacate the premises whether he likes it or not!" Tsuki joked.

'Shit, she miscarried at eight months.' he thought.

"Well we were just stopping by, we better get back to the office, I have a meeting with Sakura about the hospital's budget for this next fiscal year." Kakashi said taking a hold of Tsuki's hand.

Shikamaru watched them walk back to the Hokage's tower.

'In a couple of weeks she's gonna miscarry and lose her son..' Shikamaru's heart hurt for her. After becoming a father himself, he couldn't imagine going through something like that with Temari.

"Eight months in a couple of weeks, huh?" He thought aloud,"If that's the case, maybe I can prevent Takeo from ever dying. I just need to think this through to see if that's even possible."