28.

*Norah's POV*

Saturday morning was a bit of a blur. Harry got pulled into another emergency meeting on Friday so he couldn't make it, which was a huge letdown for me but I got over it.

First I called my parents and Harry's and got everything with the food sorted out, so that was done. Then I arranged the furniture (delivered late Friday afternoon), cleaned our new countertops, swept the floors, and made sure the refrigerator and oven were working properly. By four o'clock, I was exhausted and ready for a long soak in the bathtub, which wasn't hooked up yet. So I drove back to my apartment and took a long shower, then picked out a light yellow sundress and laid it on my bed with a white cardigan for later. For now, I stuck to some sweatpants and an old T-shirt while I researched flowers for our front landscaping and possible rug options for the living room. There was just so much to do, I didn't know where to start.

I checked my watch- 5:45, plenty of time before the party at seven. So I changed into some skinny jeans and a plain white V-neck then got into Zayn's black Audi, loaned to me for the weekend after Harry badgered him into giving it up.

The hospital was five minutes away from my house and it took me three minutes to get to the children's wing, plus one more to buy flowers and another to get checked in.

But after that, the smile on Jude's face made it worth all my wasted time.

"Hey!" I said cheerily as I set his bouquet aside on the table. "How is my big boy feeling?"

"Better," he slurred, flashing his little white teeth in a huge smile. "I thought you-you weren't coming to-today."

"I wouldn't miss a day," I feigned shock as I sat in the chair next to his bed. "How's your battle wound?"

"The nurses said I was getting all better!" He laughed. "They-they put a big bandaid on my boo boo!"

"Cool," I laughed along lightly. "Okay big guy, I'll be right back, is that alright with you?"

"Yes."

I gave his tiny hand a small squeeze and walked out to the nurses' station, where I found the same nurse I had talked to the past few days.

"Hi Norah," she smiled as she filled out some paperwork. "Surprised to see you again."

"Can't get rid of me that easily."

"Well, you're the best person for that boy right now. He'll need someone during recovery."

"How is he doing, by the way?"

"He's pulling through. Off medication for the pain so he's had some trouble sleeping lately but the wound looks good. No infection, nothing like that. He's a strong kid."

"Yeah, he really is," I smiled to myself. "And the judge?"

"She's good too, should be going home tomorrow."

"Any developments on the adoption?"

She scoffed. "You'd be shocked at the lack of parents willing to take in a child like him. Most can't afford the schooling he would need."

"In other words, he's too smart for them?"

"Exactly. A kid who reads at the level of a seven year old when he's only three...well, he's special."

"Yeah," I let out a deep breath. "He really is."

She looked at me for a long time until a knowing smile crossed her lips, like she knew a secret and wouldn't tell me.

"What?" I laughed nervously.

"Nothing."

"Tell me!"