twelve*

*Norah's POV*

All I could think about at halftime was how hot the boys on the other team were. They were all pouring water over their heads and shaking their hair out and carrying on while I was supposed to be listening to Julian. But currently we were winning 3-0 so he wasn't saying much, just to play defense and focus.

"And Norah," he said suddenly, snapping me out of my own thoughts. "You're doing great out there."

I smiled and felt a hand slide down my back, which at first I dismissed as one of the other girls on my team. But when I saw Julian's face break into a grin and every girl try to fix their hair a little, I knew exactly who it was.

"Harry," Julian laughed. "I saw you in the stands, how are you?"

"Great," Harry answered with a chuckle. "Our first game is actually tonight, if you guys want to come."

Basically everyone nodded their heads and I rolled my eyes.

"Julian," I asked sweetly. "Could I talk to Harry for just a second?"

He waved the other girls off and began calling drills while I turned to face Harry.

"What?" he grinned as I stared at him. "I just wanted to tell you how well you're playing."

"He told them not to pass me the ball," I huffed as my eyes followed a ladybug that was currently running across my cleat. "He doesn't think I'm ready yet."

Harry scowled. "Do you want me to talk to him about it?"

"No," I shook my head. "Just go be your little adorable self and I'll see you after the game."

"Right." He was still smiling as he walked away and I couldn't help but laugh a little to myself.

"Norah," Julian called. "Come do this drill."

_________________

"You're being dramatic," Harry rolled his eyes as he waved the waitress over. "Two milkshakes please, Sarah."

"Of course dear," Miss Sarah beamed. She was an elderly lady, with rosy cheeks and a smile that could melt anyone's heart. I loved her like my own grandma, mostly because I didn't have a real one anymore, mine had both died before I was born.

"I can't eat anymore," I groaned as I leaned back in the booth. The rain was falling steadily now and Harry and I had decided to just stay here and eat and talk until it died down.

"Sure you can," he winked. "I've seen you take more than a milkshake."

I reached across the table and slapped him upside the head.

"Here you go," Sarah smiled as she set down two heaping cups of whip cream and sugar. "Extra whip cream, just how you like it Norah."

"Thank you," I replied sweetly. "You're the best, Miss Sarah."

"Oh dear," she rolled her eyes. "Just call me Sarah, honey."

Harry slumped on the table and put his head down, letting out a deep breath as I began to twirl his long curls around my fingers.

"You need a haircut," I sighed.

He snorted. "You love my hair, what are you talking about?"

"It's too long!"

"Nope."

I looked out the window and he picked his head up to look at me, his green eyes piercing through me as he smiled.

"We need to get you home," he said quietly. "You need sleep."

I didn't argue so after paying the bill, he drove me straight home and carried me up to my bed. It was only ten o'clock, so Gretchen was still asleep and my parents were at work. They both worked as doctors at the local hospital, so their hours were sporadic and quite random.