Three

I quietly listen to the radio as I read through my agenda and drink my coffee. I'm supposed to get my newbie by Monday, so I have the weekend free.

But today I'll be truly free once Tyler finalizes the divorce papers. I'm done playing games with this cowboy.

I finish up my toast with avocado and call it my breakfast. I check the time and smile. About time to meet up with my lawyer.

It was a dark night. He hadn't been home for days until he arrived hungover that night. I immediately slapped him across the face and he fell on the floor with wide eyes.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I yelled at him. "You've been gone for five days and not even care to tell—"

"Now you shut up!" Tyler yelled at me. He wobbled and swayed as he stifled a laugh. "You look pathetic."

"You look pathetic! Look at you! When are you going to stop?! Do you know that if you continue down this road, your music career will be over—"

He slapped me this time and tears immediately formed in my eyes as I held my burning cheek. He angrily pointed at me with bull eyes and said, "You have no right to determine my future! Get out!"

"I'm your wife, goddammit! I'm not another one of those whores you sleep with after concerts!"

"Well if you're so tired of my life of fame then why don't you leave?! Huh? Go! Leave! Continue being the slut you once were."

At that moment, my heart let go of its last piece and I realized that this was the end. So I sobbed as I quickly packed my stuff. The sounds of his wobbly footsteps echoed in the beautiful house. The sound of my heart became silent as I drove away.

And I was back when I was twenty-one. Crashing at friends' houses just to find comfort. That's when Gail opened her doors for me. That's the first time I longed for a mother and she filled in that empty spot.

We were married for two years. The first year was like a dream until the next slowly became a nightmare.

Though, I once had that hope Gail still has in her eyes. I had the hope that he would call back, regretting our big fight like he always did. But this time, he didn't show and that hurt even more than his slaps or yells. I knew he'd never come back when I angrily texted him that I wanted a divorce and he immediately agreed.

I've never cried so much on that day. I think...I'll never let myself go through that sorrow again.

So my heart is stone as I enter the law firm. I wait to get called into my lawyer's office and send in an angry text at Tyler. As usual, he's late for what's important. I clench my jaw when he does not see my text and shove my phone down my purse instead.

"Tessa Blue?" I get up and follow the assistant to an office to soon go back to my original last name.

I smile as I see my lawyer talking with a young woman. Mr. Suarez looks up at my arrival and gives me his warm smile. "Hello, Tess. How are you? Please." He gestures at the seats in front of his desk and I thankfully sit at one of them.

He then stands up and goes over to his small fridge. "Would you like anything to drink? Any soda or water?"

"Water is fine. Thank you."

He gives me a nod and comes over to me with a cold water bottle. He then goes back to his large leather seat and proudly says, "Tess. Do you mind if Annabelle listens to our conversation today? She's an intern. Well, one of the best interns."

I smile at the young woman by his side and nod. "Of course. I remember when I was like you! I never thought I'd be in the position I'm in now."

"What do you work in?" she gently says. Her posture is straight and her delicate features carry a hint of firmness.