Thirty Three

When I ran to the restroom once again at the smell of that sauce on my plate, I realized that maybe what that woman said could be true.

I quietly think of these past few weeks. I thought it was the nerves. I've been nervous before and it's messed up my function. I've even missed a whole month of my period when I would have midterms!

But now that I make the calculations, it'll be almost three months and I still haven't had my period.

I look at my separate agenda where I keep track of my menstruation cycles. I hear Tyler walk up to me and he buries his face in my neck as his arms wrap around my waist.

"Hey," he softly whispers. "What are you doing? You look so concentrated."

"Do you remember when was the wedding I organized?"

"Ours?" he playfully says but I don't chuckle. I wait for him to say, "About...three weeks ago. Why?"

"Nothing," I mumble as I realize that I was already pregnant on that night. I close my book and make my way to the kitchen to get a glass of water. Mixed emotions run through my heart as I look out the window.

Tyler playfully takes his guitar and starts to play a melody. He hums as he slowly approaches me, but I don't pay attention to him as my mind starts to worry again.

"City girl? What's got you so quiet?"

"Nothing," I say as I turn around and decide to make myself some tea.

"Nothing? Was it the church? You didn't like it?"

Tyler still strums away as I say, "No. I liked the church. They were very welcoming."

"So you will continue coming with me?" A glint of hope runs through his brown eyes when I turn. I just give him a small smile and walk back to my desk.

"Is that a yes?"

"That's a take it easy," I say from my desk.

"Awh man. Someday, I have faith that you'll come with me every Sunday."

I stay quiet. His soft voice silences my worried thoughts and excitement slowly appears. I could be caring his child. Our small seed of the love we did not give up on. A smile starts on my lips at this thought, and I have an urge to jump out of my chair and tell him.

What do I lose telling him now than later?

When I turn around with an excited smile, I suddenly see rashes all over his neck and arms. They weren't there a second ago.

My smile disappears as I approach him. He notices my wide eyes and his brows furrow. "What's wrong?"

"Tyler. Your skin!"

He quickly looks down and gasps at the large rashes on his skin. "What's this?"

"Did you have this the last time you went to the hospital? When did you go to the hospital?"

"This morning. There was none a minute ago!"

Panic threatens to pass through his expression and this time, I put soft hands on his arms. "Okay, baby. It's probably just a reaction to the medicine or even the food we ate yesterday."

"Yeah because you threw up, right? It must've been the food."

My heart shrinks at the fear starting to creep on him so I stay silent for now. I give him a small nod and smile. "Right. It was the food. I'm going to the pharmacy right now to look for something to relieve those rashes."

"I'll come with you."

"No no. Stay here. I'll be right back." The reason why is that I'll just buy a pregnancy test while I'm there.