Fifty Six

The moment I held his hand, it was like everyone around me faded away. I could imagine God smiling down at me. So I smiled down at Tyler.

My cowboy was able to meet my mother and my brother. He took it very seriously as he tried to sit up and give them a firm handshake. Mom insisted to let him rest but my brother just accepted his greeting.

"I wish I could meet you both in different conditions," Tyler said.

He was still very pale and I could see how much he struggled to look strong. My heart melted and I sweetly gave his temple a kiss as Mom decided to take a seat by his bed. My brother seemed surprised at first, but he also took a seat and they had a long talk. I think they like him.

Soon enough, I was able to bring Tyler back home with the help of my brother and Mr. Blue. I stayed home with my mom to decorate a small section of the room with a welcome banner. I haven't been working for over a week now but I still got the skills.

My heart flew when I saw him enter in a wheelchair but with a bright smile. He asked his dad to help him up and he slowly went over to give me a tight hug. Once again, the world faded away.

During the week, friends and family have helped me so much. It's incredible. I didn't realize how amazing my people were with me. The church happily made a small dinner in honor of Tyler and the battle he has won for now.

"Tyler," the pastor said at one of the tables in the lobby where everyone eats after service. "We are happy to see your wife come to church every time."

Tyler's eyes grew wide at this and surprise made him smile at me. "You came to church on your own?"

"I come with my mom and brother," I say. "Well, my brother is still a bit doubtful about it, but Mom comes with me every time."

Tyler had a shine in his brown eyes. One that made him stronger. Brighter as he gave my hand a proud squeeze. "I'm proud of you, Tessa. I love you."

I returned his tender smile and gave his cheek a kiss. "I love you, too, but let's dig in." We shared a small laugh and he gave my large belly a quick rub before digging in his small plate.

We've finally decided on a name. Bird. It's silly but it's perfect. She's been the little bird at our window always hooting at us to look up. Always bringing a smile to our faces even when we couldn't find any. But let me tell you, this bird really wants to fly out of its cage.

Every night, without missing one, she has to have a little play date with her dad. Tyler noticed this and he gently slips his hand on my belly under the covers. The moment she recognizes his hand, she could be in the deepest sleep but she still wakes up with powerful jabs. I've had to tell Tyler to cut their play date short if he doesn't want one of my ribs broken.

Yet, her kicks seem to tell me how excited she is. She has new voices around her. It's like she wants to meet everyone already. There are more times when she's still during the day. But the moments she decides to stretch and happily dance, I have to take a seat. Mom is a big fan of her dance recitals.

Everything is okay. God had been good. I never thought I'd say this but God...has completed the last part our small family needed. The only moment when Bird is quietly still, it's when Tyler reads the Bible out loud to us. She knows God. I know it. I often wonder if He talks to her while she's in there...

But today, since Tyler feels much stronger to take small walks, he's gone out to hang out with a few carpenters buddies. Despite the amazing work God does in Tyler, my heart can't help but worry every time he leaves that door.

"Make sure you call me the moment you feel anything," I said as I followed him to the door.

Tyler did a warm chuckle. "The only thing I feel is Bird kicking my back at night. Isn't that right, my pretty cowgirl?" Tyler put a hand on my large belly and she did a strong kick under his hand. He playfully looked at me and said, "See? Even she agrees I should see my friends."