Five

Anna is quite an interesting young lady and she is so funny. I wonder if Gail should've gotten her instead. They both would be unstoppable.

Well, she's married. She got married two years ago. They went to Venice for their honeymoon.

She also has two sisters. Her little sister has a little girl and a boy on the way, and her older sister just got married. They're the power trio apparently. I wish I had some contact with my sibling. I feel like I would have had a place to run to when I left my mother's place.

Anna does a small giggle as I get one last piece of bread from the cafe. "You seem to really like this place."

"I like their coffee," I say. "I can't live without coffee. I drink it every day. All day."

"Wow," she says with raised brows. "Now that's commitment!"

We share a small laugh until we fall silent and look out at people walking around the place. My eyes immediately land on someone I could recognize from miles away. His light brown hair is well parted to the side and his nervous look sets my blood to boil.

I turn back to Anna to calm my anger. "So? What made you choose our company?"

"Well, Gail recommended it to me."

"Oh, so you know Gail already?"

"Not much but we have talked here and there. She knows my sisters."

"And what are some things you wish to accomplish with us?" As Anna answers this question, my eyes quickly take a glance at Tyler.

I swear. This cowboy has no life but to make music and be drunk.

I let out a steady breath as my heart threatens to make me stand and tell him to go away. I know that he's following me when his eyes lock on mine for a second.

Suddenly, the sound of a buzz brings me out of my angry thoughts. I look over to see Anna take out her phone and say, "I'm really sorry, Tess. I need to take this."

"Don't worry about it," I kindly say. "Go ahead." Anna gives me one last apologetic look before walking off to talk on the phone.

My eyes now stay on Tyler. He has a large newspaper in front of his face and his sunglasses are as dark as his boots. His eyes find mine behind the newspaper and he gives me that stupid smile.

"I'm sorry, Tess," Anna says as she comes back to me. "It was my husband. He needs me for something. He just got home early and—"

"Don't worry about it!" I say as I start to stand. "Thank you for coming. It was so nice to get to know you."

"Thank you for this date!" she says with her sweet smile. "I'll see you tomorrow." I give her a nod and watch her quickly walk across the parking lot to her car.

Now my feet move towards Tyler as anger slowly starts to boil again. I snatch the newspaper from his hands and say, "Are you following me now?!"

Tyler quickly takes the newspaper from me and covers his face. "What are you doing?! You know people can see me!"

"Oh shut up," I say as I snatch the newspaper away. "No one even knows your stupid music here."

"Oh no?" he says with brows raised. He takes off his sunglasses and those light brown eyes threaten to make me melt under the sunlight. He quietly gives me his perfect smile and I'm left speechless once again.

No. I've had enough!

I cross my arms on my chest and firmly say, "What are you doing here?"

"I can't enjoy this new town? It's nice weather here."

"You're spying on me."

He scoffs. "No. I am not. It's just a coincidence you're here. Really! By the way...who was that?"

"That's none of your business."

"Are you still into event planning?"

"Like I said, it's none of your business. And stop following me." I start to make my way back to my car but he, once again, runs up to me.

"Wait. Tess. Please. Let's just sit for a moment and chat. I swear I just want to see how you've been."

"I've been great ever since I left you," I firmly say.

He stops following me and I know he must have that sad shine in his eyes. But I don't look back as I continue down the sidewalk.

"I almost died one night."

And just like that, my feet stop at the sound of his sad voice. My muscles urge for me to look at him but I fearfully stay still as I hear him say, "I had the whole world in my hands, but on that night...I realized that I was alone. No family. No friends. No fans. No wife..."

My heart shrinks and I hold back tears as he says, "Then there was this...voice. No. Not a voice. A touch. A touch of warmth that made me realize that I was completely lost. So I saw the light and I walked after it. I decided to change..."

Tears slowly start to escape and I turn around. His eyes are not sad like I thought they were. They have that same shine I see in Gail.

Hope.

He slowly comes up to me with that smile that slowly makes my heart melt. He carefully stops a few feet away as he softly says, "Please. Just one night. One coffee. One chance."

"Nothing will change between us, Tyler," I sadly say. "We can get a coffee, but it will never be the same again."

"No," he says with a gentle smile and shining eyes. "It can be better."

"Tyler—"

"Is that Tyler Blue?!"

We turn at the sound of a shriek. A young woman with a few other girls come running up to us and my heart is slapped out of its melting state. It slowly starts to harden as girls surround Tyler. His eyes are wide in surprise and he starts to escape their circle.

And I'm left to the side again.

I quickly wipe my tears and bring back my strength with a deep breath. The last thing I hear as I start walking away is his voice calling out to me.

"Tess! Tessa!"

But I push aside the feeling of running back to his strong arms. Grief and pain are stronger than he is, and he can't ever change that. It's his fault anyways.

Love is no longer strong enough for us.