Nine

"You were right. He's trying to save our marriage."

I watch Gail sit down in front of me as she gets another cup of tea. She clicks her tongue and carefully says, "Well, honey, what...do you want in that aspect?"

I stay silent as my mind rewinds the conversation I had with Tyler. He really has been a distraction because I haven't even finished any ideas for my event. This is what I get for letting down my guard.

But there's something deep down that hurts and I don't understand why. I let out a sigh and Gail does a small pout. "Oh, honey...What's going on? Are you still afraid?"

"I'm terrified..." I look out at her beautiful house. It's similar to the one I shared with Tyler. So many sweet memories we both share seem so close now. The feeling of his embrace at that fundraiser event...changed everything.

I wipe away a small tear and say, "I'm afraid that...my heart will break again. That it'll all be for nothing. I'm scared to make a mistake. My life is perfect! Why did he have to come and ruin it? I was doing fine!"

Anger now slowly starts to rise but Gail still gives me her soft smile. "Well, darling, wouldn't you want to be better? I can see you're doing just fine without him, but what if—"

"What if he forgets? What if the spotlight blinds him again? What if he's lying?!"

"What if he's changed? Tessa. You can't determine someone's fate without seeing what they have to offer. You can't put a conclusion on your relationship when you haven't even tried!"

"He wanted the divorce! I still have those messages, Gail! Two years. Two years and he still didn't manage to look for me. He never even tried looking for me!"

"But at least he's here now. It's better late than never. Honey. You say you don't want to make a mistake, but I'm afraid that you might make one either way if you don't try. Look. At least you're not alone. If anything happens...I'm here."

I'm taken aback at Gail's firmness but her words are soft enough to let a few tears escape my eyes. I give her a smile and take her hand from across the dining table. "Thank you, Gail. I don't know what I'd do without you. In fact...I have no idea what to do. I'm so confused."

"Well, honey," Gail says with her bright smile. "Let your walls down for a moment and listen. I will always say that to you. The first step to any solution is that." I watch her stand with a small leap as she turns off the stove. "Kids! Lunch is ready!"

Soon, my tears are wiped away as I watch two kids running to the dining table. I give them a smile as they each give me a sweet hug. Gail does a small sigh as she says, "Who knows? Maybe we'll have to set up play dates in a few years!"

Oh God...

The only child I must worry about now is the event I have to get done. I finish a second mug of coffee as I lean back in my chair. My tired mind keeps twirling with ideas and I stare at the many crumpled up papers I've thrown in the trash bin by my desk.

I'm stuck.

I let out a sigh as I see how late it is. Tomorrow I have to present my idea to the floor and I don't have a single clue.

There's only one place I go to for inspiration. There's a beautiful antique store downtown that's just the most amazing place to get lost in. Every time I take a walk inside, my mind starts creating scenarios for any event.

I smile at the rustic smell of this store. The old man behind the glassed counter nods at me with a welcoming smile. He knows why I'm here.

I slowly start my journey through each century. I observe each item of every shape and size. I always take a look at the small things and the old house supplies. I pass by the toys and smile as I take hold of a small teddy bear. I wonder who was the last little person that held this.

As I step into a more wooden part of the store, my eyes grow wide at familiar boots and broad back. My heart nearly drops as I look for a hiding spot. But it's too late as my frantic steps echo against the wooden floor and he turns around.

Damn it.

His smile slowly starts at his lips as he goes over to where I'm at and peeks to smirk at me. "Well, look who's following me now?"

I let out a sigh and straighten my back. "I was just...roaming." I quickly start to walk away before my heart urges me to run into his arms.

"Roaming?" His boots echo against the floor as he follows me. "Let me guess. This is your Inspo Spot?"

"Yes," I say without looking back at him. "And I really need to focus. I have to present my idea tomorrow and...you must go." I look at him and clear my throat. I give him a tight smile and start to leave.

"Wait up!"

"Gosh, Tyler! I really need you to go. I have to get this done."

"Maybe I can help."

"No. You can't."

"Tessa. I've observed your events before. I could brainstorm!"

I click my tongue in frustration and stop. He won't leave if I don't give him a moment to speak. So I cross my arms on my chest and firmly say, "I have to do an event for a small business celebrating their very first award."

"Award on?"

"Being the best brew store in town."

"Okay," Tyler says as he puts his hand in the pockets of his jeans. "Who are the owners?"

"This guy that just moved to the city. He actually started his business out in the country but decided to come here. Fortunately, he's been successful."

"Oh. How wonderful. Did they give you an idea of what they want?"

"Nope. He's got all his trust in us. In me!" I let out a long breath as I look around the place. Instead of getting inspiration, all I have is a distraction.

But Tyler's eyes shine and that smile appears again. "You said they were from the countryside?" I nod and he says, "Then why don't give him something from home?"

I furrow my brows as he goes over to a counter and picks up a wooden horseshoe. And just like that, my mind creates a rodeo wonderland.

A wide smile starts on my lips as I start to look at the rodeo decorations at a table. I turn to Tyler and my feet have a mind of their own as I excitedly wrap my arms around his broad shoulders.

"Tyler! Thank you! You're a genius!"

He laughs at my happiness as he follows me to the rodeo section. "Hey. You're the one with the idea. I just helped."

My heart is soft from excitement so I smile at him and say, "We've always made a good team together."

Tyler's eyes soften at this and I let the world turn silent at the way his heart melts through his soft brown eyes.

"Yes. We've always been a great team..."