Twenty One

We go back one more time to visit his dad. I give him my goodbyes once Tyler nods at me, and I know I should get back in the truck before they start yelling at each other.

As I get back, Mel waves at me with a warm smile and I return it. He then turns when he sees a little boy running out with some chickens. Mel drops his tools and runs after him saying, "Come on now, son! I told you not to play with the chickens!" But his son just laughs loudly as he runs after the feathery coup.

I chuckle at this scene and suddenly my mind takes me to Tyler. I wonder what he would do once we have a kid. Well, we both have some wild genes. So he'd be running with a chicken in hand and the rest running after him.

I chuckle at my imagination and just get in the truck instead. Maybe having a kid soon would be alright. I watch Mel help his son with the chickens and smile down despite of his mischief.

I want to see that same smile on Tyler's face with our child...

I'm slapped back to reality as I see Tyler coming towards the truck. His eyes are sad but there's this peace in his expression...the same peace I can't seem to understand yet.

He enters and gives me a warm smile as he starts the truck. "Let's go home."

"What happened?"

He only shakes his head and I understand he couldn't fix things with his dad. My heart shrinks and I take hold of his hand. "I'm so sorry, baby..."

Tyler smiles and says, "Don't worry, sweetheart. I've done my part. God will do the rest."

God. I scoff at this and just do a small nod. "Okay."

But whatever God has in mind, at least we start our new life together. We arrive back home and I let out a contented sigh. Tyler's hands sweetly slipped across my abdomen to hold me close. His lips found my neck as he whispered, "To us." He then opened his palms to reveal two chocolates. I chuckle at this and pop one in my mouth after giving his lips a kiss.

The next morning, I observe the new way of starting the day. I wake up earlier and go out on my usual run. I come back and the smell of coffee already fills the house. I smile when I see a cup of coffee on the counter with a sticky note.

I love you.

I take the note and put it on the counter I've been saving his notes in. With mug in hand, I turn on the radio and start listening to the news while I do breakfast for two this time. I need to make groceries because I think Tyler won't like my vegetarian meats.

Once he comes out ready to go to work, we eat breakfast together; exchanging smiles as this new feeling of fullness surrounds us. Then Tyler offers to do the dishes while I get ready for work. Small blushes run over my face as he whistles when I come out ready for work.

"Someone is looking too hot for work!" Tyler playfully says. I laugh at this and give his cheek a kiss as he continues putting the dishes away. "Are you leaving now?"

"Yes, sweetheart. I have to get to a meeting. But I'll talk to you later?"

"You know it." He turns around and brings me closer for his lips to run all over mine; our hearts singing the last time for now. We pull away and I make my way to the door as I hear him say, "Have a blessed day, darling."

"I love you!"

I arrive at work with a new smile until I pass by Gail's office and hear her angry voice pass through her door. Before I can quickly take a listen, the door opens abruptly, and out marches Fabio. He nearly pushes me to the side as his dark eyes burn.

With wide eyes, I watch him disappear around the corner. I carefully walk in and knock on the door. Gail looks up and relief passes through her firm face.