Twenty Three

What a mess. I can't believe I finish my great day at the hospital.

A policeman stands outside of our area in the Emergency Room as a nurse tends to Tyler's wounds.

"I'm fine," Tyler softly says to the blonde nurse.

"I'm sorry, sir," she kindly says. "But it's better to take care of them now instead of letting it infect. Plus, we have to check for any concussions."

"That's a good idea," I say now. "He got a bad hit on his head."

Tyler clicks his tongue with frustration and looks away with a frown. The nurse nods at me with a soft smile and leaves to tell a doctor. I go over to where Tyler is sitting on a bed; his brows still furrowed.

I gently take his chin and inspect the wounds on his forehead. He still has that frown and I chuckle. "You don't have to be so tough. It's okay to be defeated."

"Defeated?! I didn't lose! He lost!" I laugh at this and put a soft kiss on his lips. This makes his muscles relax and bring back his warm smile. "As long as you're okay, it's enough for me. You're not hurt, are you?"

I shake my head and say, "You came just in time." My heart melts at his smile and I let his hand find my hip to bring me closer. I hold his cheeks and let my lips heal the rest of his wounds. My heart slowly goes back to his peace.

The policeman gently enters and we pull away. He gives us a respectful nod as he says, "I just got a message saying that the suspect will be taken away. Luckily, there were cameras."

"I'm free to go, officer?" Tyler says.

"For me, yes. For the doctors, I don't think so."

With this, a man with a white lab coat comes in with a quiet smile. I give the officer a thankful nod and watch the doctor introduce himself to us. He starts doing his examination of Tyler as the blonde nurse quietly comes back.

"So you got in a fight to protect your..."

"My wife," Tyler says to the doctor. Tyler looks over at me with a smile and I return it with a wink.

"Oh, can you please keep your eyes on the light?"

"Sure. Sorry."

"Love can do anything, am I right? Risk your life, career..." The doctor's eyes quickly steal a glance at the blonde nurse by his side taking notes and she quietly shakes her head with a smile.

"That's right," Tyler says. "Anything for my pretty lady." My heart flutters at his words and I push my exhaustion to the side from that adrenaline to keep watching what they do to him.

The doctor gives him a smile and says, "There doesn't seem to be anything damaged. No concussion. But let's get in a blood test just because I like to get deep examination before any patient leaves."

"Sounds good, doc," Tyler says with his childish smile. "Thank you very much." The doctor gives us one last smile before leaving. The blonde nurse now takes over to do Tyler's bloodwork while I stand by him.

"Everything's good," I say with a sigh.

Tyler takes my hand and tenderly says, "Because I won the fight."

The nurse does a soft scoff and says, "The good guys always win in the end."

"God is by my side." He looks up to see my reaction and all I do is smile. I still wonder if God is by my side. Why did He let Fabio get near me?

We wait for a bit longer while his bloodwork is taken care of. I lay my head on his shoulder and he puts a kiss on my head.

"I forgot to say thank you."

"For what?" he softly says.

"For saving me."

He's silent. A silence that makes me fear until he says, "I...saw you kiss him and I just thought...so many things—"

I lift up my head and furrow my brows at him. "You thought I wanted to kiss him?"

Guilt runs through his face as his eyes fall. "I trust you. It's just that...my mind brought me all those times I hurt you and I thought...why not? Maybe he's...a better person from the start. I wasn't."

I scoff at his words. "I know. You were a horrible husband but you've changed. And I trust you...will stay that way. I'm risking it all for this." I let my fingers intertwine with his and softly say, "For us."

Tyler's eyes soften and he puts a tender kiss on my forehead. "Thank you..."

"I love you."

"I—" Before he can finish saying my favorite words, a new doctor comes in.

A woman with beautiful dark hair in thick braids and a firm stance. She gives us a small smile and says in a perfect British accent, "Hello, Mr. Blue. Mrs. Blue. I'm Dr. Sharpe. How are you?"

I shake her firm hand and say, "Tired. Can we go home?"

"Actually..." She hesitates and my heart stops. "I would like to do another test on Mr. Blue here. There's just been a little abnormality to his blood results."

"Wh-what do you mean abnormal?" My heart starts to pace but Tyler gives my hand a squeeze, and I see a quiet smile on his face.

Dr. Sharpe says with more confidence, "Don't worry. I just want to make sure it's nothing more major than anemia." She walks over to where Tyler is and kindly says, "May I examine your lymph nodes?"

"Sure," Tyler says with a small chuckle. "Whatever that means."

"I'll just be checking your neck and collarbone for now. Can you take off your shirt to check your armpits just in case?"

I stand up from the bed and watch Tyler do all of this without a single bit of the fear I carry now. I'm no doctor but I know these visits.

Dr. Sharpe gently touches the areas she said and I can't seem to read her expression. She then steps back and takes off the gloves she had on. "We'll continue with the tests."

"Why?" I say. "Is there something bad? What's going on?"

"Honey." Tyler's hand calms me down as I look back at him. He gives me a reassuring nod and says, "Let's give the docs some space and we'll know soon. Right, doc?"

"You can go home once we've done the tests. Then we'll give you a call once we get the results."

"See?" Tyler says to me now. "Everything's going to be okay."

My worried eyes look at the doctor and she also gives me a warm smile. So I let my heart relax for a moment and watch her walk out with Tyler. He gives me a wink before disappearing around a corner.

And for the first time in my life, my heart does a small prayer.

God...please let everything be okay...