Eight

I don't know why I'm so nervous. Just because I'm going for a coffee with Tyler? No way.

Anna seems to sense my nerves as she clears her throat. "May I ask if everything is okay? You seem a bit...distracted."

"Distracted? Ha. No way." I accidentally bump into the counter where I have my drinks and wince.

"Oh my! Are you alright?!"

"No. I'm not but what can I do about it?" With a sigh, I go back to my desk and continue with the next event. This time, I'm in charge of organizing and I cannot have any more distractions. No matter how good looking it is.

Anna has her shy look on and I raise my brows at her. "What is it?"

She bites her bottom lip before saying, "I can't help but ask...is this because of that man that sang last night?" Excitement makes her smile wide now as she says, "I saw you talking with him yesterday, and my god...what a man! He sings. He smiles. He's kind and good looking! I mean of course—"

"Wait wait wait, Anna," I say with a chuckle. "He's...just a friend. An old friend. Very old."

"Like ancient?"

"Yes. Very ancient. And we're just getting coffee—"

Anna gasps and says, "You're getting coffee together?! Tess, that is like—"

"Nothing, Anna," I firmly say. "Let's stop talking about cowboys and start brainstorming on what we want to do for this next event."

Anna falls back and clears her throat. "Right. I'm sorry."

I give her a small smile and decide to put Tyler aside for now. I'll have to talk to Gail before I leave.

Unfortunately, I find Gail in deep conversation with her newbie. So I quickly make my way to my car without disturbing her. Looks like I'll talk to her after lunch.

Now I'm nervous and I don't know why. It feels like I'm going on my first date as I enter the restaurant that connects with the hotel. That place is usually full, but today it seems to have cleared up just for us.

There he is. Sitting at a table under the shade and with his peaceful look. His brown eyes look out at the running street until they meet mine.

He stands to greet me and I find myself with a burning cheek at his quick kiss on it. I ignore this feeling as I sit down and give him a small smile.

"How are you today?"

"Lucky," he says with a playful smile.

"Really?" I say as I look at the menu. "You got your lucky horseshoe with you?"

He does a laugh that makes me smile. "No. I'm lucky I got the chance to talk to you without you running away from me."

Before I can playfully shoot back, the waiter comes and we give our orders. My heart flutters when he tells the waiter that it'll be under one tab.

Unless he wants me to pay.

Once the waiter is gone, he turns back to me and says, "Well? Tell me all about you! What have you been up to?"

"I've been very successful in my career. I just got promoted to have an office of my own."

His eyes grow wide with a smile. "I'm so happy to hear that, Tess! I always knew you'd fly with that creative mind of yours."

I laugh at this and stop my blush from showing. "What about you? How's your music going? I'm surprised that you aren't singing at the theaters in the city."