31 - Forever Young

Chantal had barely eaten or talked to anyone in the last days with the exception of Harry. Although her only interaction with the boy had been at that one time when he had interrupted Cedric and her in the Library, she felt sad for him. Harry had always had a bias against the Slytherin house, however, when talking to Chantal, that barrier had disappeared.

 Harry had always had a bias against the  Slytherin house, however, when talking to Chantal, that barrier had  disappeared

With Victoria's help, Chantal managed to pack to go home, however, they had to enter the Great Hall once again for the Leaving Feast. Chantal would not normally be dreading the event, going to it with a pain in her chest.

She looked down, entering the Great Hall, not wanting to meet anyone's eyes. Victoria slipped her hand inside hers and walked together to the Slytherin table. When they sat down, Chantal immediately noticed the black drapes hung across the wall behind the teachers' table.

  When they sat down, Chantal immediately noticed the black drapes hung  across the wall behind the teachers' table

Chantal found the courage to look at the Ravenclaw table, seeing Nathaniel and Dina. They weren't talking among themselves either.

She then glanced over the Gryffindor table, stopping at Ernest. Although Chantal had gone through a lot of pain and continued to do so, she began to feel even sadder. She had never asked Ernest anything, how he felt losing his friend, how he was coping with everything. She regretted not having talked to him.

And the hardest part was to look at the dreadful faces of the Hufflepuff table. The students wore faces of regret and misery.

The Great Hall was already quiet, however, a louder silence fell when Dumbledore spoke.

''The end...'' he took a pause. ''of another year.''

He watched over the Hufflepuff table.

"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," Dumbledore said "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

Chantal looked at Dumbledore and stood up. She tried to concentrate.

''Cedric Diggory,'' the Great Hall said and raised their goblets.