66 - I HAVE to Ask Someone Out?

''What about you, Miss Granger?'' Professor Slughorn wondered, turning his gaze to Hermione who sat next to me. ''What does your family do in the Muggle world?''

Hermione smiled slightly and began speaking.

''My parents are dentists,'' she answered. ''they tend to people's teeth.''

Some people in the room exchanged glances, including Victoria and Chantal. The two girls smiled slightly and Chantal looked back to her right where Hermione and Harry were. Harry's gaze drifted away from hers as she looked at them.

''Fascinating. And is that considered a dangerous profession?''

''No,'' Hermione answered and started smiling even more. Chantal spotted how much Cormac McLaggen was staring at her. ''Although, one boy, Robbie Fenwick did bite my father once. He needed ten stitches.''

Chantal noticed Harry's slight smirk as the rest of the room was silent. Chantal pushed out a small giggle to aid with the silence.

The door opened and Ginny Weasley appeared in the doorway, closing the door behind her slowly.

''Ahh, Miss Weasley. Come in, come in,'' Professor Slughorn welcomed her, turning his head around.

Chantal pushed a smile in her direction but noticed her red expression.

''Look at her eyes. They've been fighting again, her and Dean,'' Hermione's whisper to Harry roamed into Chantal's ears and her eyes glanced at Harry as he stared down at Ginny.

''Sorry, I'm not usually late,'' Ginny apologized, standing by her chair.

Harry burst into standing and kept looking at her. Chantal and Victoria immediately exchanged a look and raised their eyebrows.

''No matter. You're just in time for dessert, that is, if Belby's left you any,'' Professor Slughorn continued and both of them sat down.

In a while when Slughorn questioned Ginny about her family and plans, it was time to leave. Although everyone seemed to be leaving, Harry stayed behind. Chantal stopped in her tracks before exiting through the door.

''He has to talk to Slughorn,'' Hermione's voice said to Chantal behind her.

''Yeah, I figured,'' Chantal replied and closed the door.

Chantal and Hermione left Slughorn's door behind them and started walking down the sixth-floor corridor together, the silence surrounding them at first.

''I see McLaggen has a thing for you...'' Chantal quietly said and turned to Hermione with a devious smile.

Hermione huffed and crossed her arms, even though they were walking.

''He's vile. There's no way I would go out with him,'' she laughed.

''I've heard so,'' Chantal laughed back. ''but we are going to take someone with us for the party.''

Hermione winced, but Chantal had the same reaction to the idea. The Christmas party, although sounding amazing, involved the idea of asking someone to the party.

''There's no way I will do with McLaggen,'' Hermione continued. ''I have someone in mind, but... I'll have to see how that goes.''

''Would that someone be Ron?''

Hermione rolled her eyes.

''I- I doubt he'll be of interest in that,''

''I think he would be... just has to get over himself a bit about that,'' Chantal replied and smirked.

''Yes... that's true... so who do you think will be your date?''

''I'd rather not think about it. Slughorn just announced the party, I have some time thankfully,'' Chantal said.

When the two girls walked into a corridor, Chantal stopped.

''I'll be going down here. Faster way to the Dungeons,'' she said and Hermione nodded. ''and... don't worry about Ron. I think... he'd be an idiot if he didn't go with you.''

Hermione laughed a bit.

''Same with whoever you decide to ask,''

Chantal smiled and the picture of several faces popped up in her head. There was no way she could ask him to go with her. She couldn't ask Draco to the Christmas party.

Chantal walked back to the Dungeons and hung out with Victoria and Gerald until it was time to go to sleep. Throughout the whole evening, her eyes kept popping toward Draco.

''And you're not sure he'll ask you?'' Chantal passed the note back to Victoria who was sitting nearby her in the Defence Against the Dark Arts class with Snape.

Victoria turned to her friend and shook her head.

''I'll explain later,'' she whispered.

Chantal looked up to see Snape's annoyed look and turned back to her work, although her mind kept racing around everyone she knew. As Victoria explained later, she was merely wondering how Gerald would ask her to the ball. Instantly, Chantal's mind went back to the time Cedric asked her to the Yule Ball.

Either way, all of her friends had some sort of date. Victoria would go with Gerald. Of course, Karla asking Dina to the party would raise some eyebrows from the others that Dina and Chantal had already discussed. Even Stephen whispered to Chantal that he had an idea of whom to ask to the party.

Chantal kept thinking that if Nathaniel was still at Hogwarts, there would be no doubt in asking him. Of course, he would be in Slughorn's club as well, and perhaps he would beat her to asking him, but she would nevertheless consider him as the best option.

However, the question of whom to ask remained in her mind throughout the whole day.

After a few days passed and Chantal kept looking around Hogwarts, without directly asking anyone, for a date to the Christmas party, the Gryffindor and Slytherin Quidditch game grew closer.

''I couldn't care less, personally,'' she claimed, although she was somewhat excited for the following party if her house would win.

''That's bold coming from someone who was so keen to play last year,'' Victoria whispered.

''It's not about that,''

''Hmmm?''

The two girls were walking to their next class where Dina was already waiting for them. When they turned around the corner to Herbology and greeted their friend, Chantal continued their thought.

''You two, despite not having asked, have dates in mind for the Christmas party. I know, Dina, that you're not part of the club but she would not skip asking you...'' Chantal whispered the last part.

Dina nodded unsurely.

''I guess... I'd love to come but... I don't know how Slughorn or the others will react to that,''

''We'll raise hell at them if they say something about that,'' Victoria assured her friend.

Chantal nodded, encouraging Dina not to worry about it.

''You'll meet someone at the party and ask them,'' Victoria commented to Chantal as they walked into class.

Chantal's eyes roamed around the room, not focusing on anyone in particular.

''If we win...''

''I'm sure we'll still throw a party in the Common Room,''

''I'd rather ask Snape to go as my date instead of any of the Slytherin boys,'' Chantal said but her mind instantly raced to someone specific.