Starlight » No. 2

"Moony, stop worrying. She told us they'd be back. You saw Ben-'' Sirius said, calming Remus down who worried about their disappearance while the party was in full bloom.

''We shouldn't have let her go then,'' James joked.

''Do you want me to check the map?'' Peter asked.

Remus sighed, rubbing his face.

''No, no. I don't want to spy on her,''

''Then just relax. What is it that you're worried about?'' James asked.

''You of all people should know,'' Remus replied but James stared back. ''Evans? Snape?''

''Okay, okay,'' James laughed. ''let's help Moony.''

''With what? Don't you all see that Ben is just... a friend?'' Sirius asked.

As Sirius discussed Ben's behavior and James questioned his watching of Ben, Peter came back with drinks. Remus thanked him, immediately drinking it and continuing to listen.

''Would it make you happy if we checked on them?'' Peter asked.

''Yeah, not spying level...'' James added, winking at Sirius.

''You go,'' Remus replied. ''Peter will keep me company.''

Peter happily jumped next to Remus on the couch while James ran upstairs to get the Marauders' Map. He came back with it stashed under his shirt, of course. James and Sirius left and opened the map.

''Let's see then,'' James said.

''Ahh! Seventh-floor corridor,'' Sirius exclaimed.

As the two walked to the platform, James wondered whether Avery felt the same way about Remus as Remus did about her.

''She's been a little weird around him, right? I'm not the only one who's noticed,''

''I suppose not. Maybe she's had time to think over summer,''

''Maybe Remus has gotten better at actually showing that he likes her...''

James and Sirius laughed together, opening the door. They were immediately surprised by the loud singing that came from somewhere. As they walked, the singing only grew louder.

''Oh my god...'' Sirius said, holding his laughter.

The view of Avery and Ben singing while standing on benches made both of them snicker as they watched the two friends dance strangely and sing together. It didn't take long for them to notice Sirius and James.

''Come to join the party?'' Ben asked, picking up a bottle of gin.

''No, you idiots,'' Sirius replied and laughed. ''I suppose that's why you were so sneaky with your bag...''

''Why don't we get back?'' James asked.

''Is there music?'' Ben asked.

''Of course. Extra loud too,''

''We like you two, all four of you, so we're going to join the party,'' Avery said, smiling as Sirius wrapped his hand around her shoulders.

''We like you too, Avery, and I'm sure someone likes you a lot...'' Sirius snickered.

As they almost reached the Gryffindor Common Room, Sirius let in Ben first, pushing him slightly.

''Give me Avery back you two, not fair,'' Ben said.

''We'll give her back to you in a minute. Go inside please,'' Sirius said and Ben waved his hands and muttered something.

When Ben went inside the portrait and left the three on the Grand Staircase, Avery wasted no time and turned to James.