42 - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Everything related to his studies had been finished for Nathaniel,  and he could fully invest himself in whatever was happening around him

Everything related to his studies had been finished for Nathaniel, and he could fully invest himself in whatever was happening around him. On that evening, it was the Third Task in the Triwizard Tournament.

He couldn't not notice the stuffy air caused both by the hundreds of students in the Great Hall as well as the hot weather outside. The sun was yet to set and the clouds were only to arrive after that.

He looked around the Great Hall to see students already causing more chaos than on the first day, seeing that the final task would take place in just a few hours. When his eyes met some of them, they immediately sat down, stopping the playfights. He was a Prefect, after all. Nonetheless, sometimes they still didn't listen.

When Nathaniel's eyes met the Hufflepuff table, he noticed Cedric already looking back at him. Nathaniel greeted him with a smile and looked away, seeing that Chantal was deeply trying to convince Cedric of something.

''Hey,'' Nell said, quickly sitting down next to Nathaniel. ''mum messaged me asking if we want anything specific for dinner when we arrive?''

''Do you already have an idea?'' Nathaniel asked back.

''Somewhat. I was thinking blueberry pancakes,''

''In the evening?''

''Yeah, why not? People eat pancakes in the evening,''

''You're weird,''

''Thanks,'' Nell replied, smiling. ''what about you?''

''I don't think I'm weird but-'' Nathaniel tried to say but Nell had already stood up, annoyed by his constant need for cheekiness. ''I'll eat the same thing but- be nice about it.''

''I'm weird, not an idiot,''

Nathaniel made a sarcastically long shrug, making a shrieking noise that resembled an old car but Nell had already walked away before he had cut himself.

As Nell made her way back to the Slytherin table with a piece of parchment to write to their parents, Nathaniel noticed Cedric watching him by the Hufflepuff table yet again.

Deciding not to stare back, Nathaniel continued to eat, listening to what Aiden and Malik had to say about their summer plans.

He sat in silence until only minutes later, Cedric was in front of him.

''Everything all right? You've been looking at me all throughout dinner,'' Nathaniel said, giving Cedric a smile.

''Uhh,'' Cedric muttered. ''I'm all right but- can we have a word outside?''

Nathaniel nodded, checking to see that Chantal had her eyes on them as well. When they walked out into the Entrance Hall, Nathaniel immediately noticed how nervous Cedric was.

''Good luck, Ced!'' a boy greeted Cedric.

''We'll be watching!'' a girl next to the boy added.

Cedric awkwardly nodded, thanking them for the support but Nathaniel could see that he was faking it.