I would wait a million years (special chapter)

Missing scene in 'Till the End of Time' — meaning this is its prequel.

Mobius became the broken one after being left behind by Loki.

Takes place after the end of Loki series season 1 episode 2

///

"Loki! Loki, wait. Loki!" Mobius knew it was too late. He ran nonetheless, ran as fast as he could even if, deep down, he knew he was already too late.

Loki looked back at him, and Mobius knew that that look — with those eyes that were locking with his, before he disappeared into the time door — was going to haunt him in his sleep.

In the end Mobius stopped, when the door closed and Loki was gone. And it was just him. There were other minutemen around, true, but Mobius had never felt so alone. So lonely.

He stopped and stood where he was, unable to take his eyes off of the now-empty spot where Loki stood less than a minute ago.

He was gone, and Mobius thought — he had been so sure — he could trust Loki. He had studied Loki's life, his tricks, and he knew he was a tricker, untrustworthy and unpredictable. But Mobius thought they had built something, perhaps friendship was too strong a word but something that might have been close to trust.

Mobius made himself vulnerable by trusting Loki, and that was his fault.

It's okay, Mobius. You can trust me. Loki had said. Lied.

Mobius laughed then. He couldn't care less if it was inappropriate. He laughed because his being naive and stupid enough to ever trust Loki, despite his friends warning him, was the mistake that was of his own. There was no one else to blame.

~~~

He was informed Loki was here, at the TVA, with his Variant, before they both managed to escape.

And all Mobius responded was a slight nod of his head, no other words. Just one nod, because what else was he supposed to say? Yes, he fucked up, and he knew that. And if there were to be any consequences for his failure, Mobius would accept them with no complaints.

In the end Ravonna dismissed him from her office with no more than ten minutes of lecturing. She could demote him, sure, but the damages had already been done, and demoting Mobius wasn't going to solve a problem. She wasn't going to reset him, either. Mobius was still useful for the TVA, even with the one mistake he made, one big mistake that costed them not one but two Variants.

~~~

In the wake of his rage, Mobius knocked everything out of his desk in one swat on his hand, before leaning down on the tabletop with his elbows supporting his weight and his face burying in the palms of his hands. His eyelids felt hot, like tears were threatening to leak down his cheeks, though it was most likely from the anger, the helplessness of it all. The feeling that he was being played. A fool. Another pawn in one of Loki's schemes when Mobius had warmed up to him, allowing him to get close and even...

Mobius laughed into his hands.

How stupid. How naive. He thought he could trust Loki. He, out of all people, should have known better.

Or maybe Mobius did have a soft spot for broken things, after all. He had shown Loki his mercy when he was in what might have been the lowest point in his life. He had offered him what might have been the closest thing to salvation he could have offered, giving his life a purpose, so that the TVA didn't prune him into complete nonexistence.

And all you've got in return was this.

Mobius rubbed his eyes harshly, ridding any and all evidence of tears that might have shown on his face.

If they recaptured Loki, no, once they recaptured Loki, Mobius knew he would no longer show him any tiniest bit of mercy.

~~~

He prayed Loki was safe. Safe and okay and... alive, wherever he was now. Wherever Loki was, Mobius wanted him back.

He couldn't sleep. Loki's face and the way he looked back at him when Mobius called his name, Mobius saw that now as clear as day in his head. It haunted him. When Mobius closed his eyes, Loki was looking back at him. Something in those eyes of his, it almost looked like pain. Like he was in pain that he had to be the one walking away.

No, Loki wasn't in pain. Couldn't. Because why would betraying Mobius bring Loki pain when it was what he wanted all along.

What if he's hurt? What if someone hurt him? Mobius got up into sitting in his bed and buried his face in his hand.

"Come back," he said, just because he was alone and no one could hear him. "Come back, I'm sorry, if I did something wrong. God, Loki, I'm sorry,"

Loki didn't come back.

~~~

Mobius was never the one who turned to alcohol, but right now he needed something strong enough to keep Loki off of his mind, even just for a moment.

He ordered another shot from the bartender. He couldn't bring himself into caring right now, if his sudden drinking habit might effect his work, because, honestly, what work? Loki was gone. His Variant didn't leave any trail to follow. It was over.

But Mobius wanted Loki back. He wanted him back, and he was afraid his needing to see Loki again might not have anything to do capturing his Variant, or sentencing him for his crimes, or anything about the TVA at all.

Mobius wanted him back because, Mobius shook his head, downing another drink, he missed him. He missed him and the unknown of whether or not Loki was safe, the unknown of whether or not Mobius was going to see him again, was driving him insane.

~~~

He was back at the TVA the second Hunter B-15 informed him they might have figured out where Loki and the Variant were.

A planet, the moment before its apocalypse, they were here now. Mobius caged back all the emotions flooding in his chest, overwhelming him, drowning him alive.

He was going to see Loki again, and he could just feel it now, how close they were. Almost like he could feel Loki's presence here, and it was nearly impossible not to let any emotion show on his face, in his eyes.

Mobius recognised Loki's back anywhere. He froze on the spot, and didn't know what trigger Loki, what caused Loki to turn around.

But when Loki did and their eyes met, it felt as though nothing else mattered, like the world literally ending around him suddenly didn't matter anymore because he finally found Loki again.

Mobius stood there, forcing himself not to smile. He and Loki held eye contact for what felt like eternity.

Then he said, "Hello Loki,"