15. silent night

Silent Night was playing in the distance. Snow flakes falling down the night sky, it looked so pretty, so Christmasy once illuminated by those lights filled the street and every window of every house. It was the most beautiful time of the year, indeed. Everyone was celebrating with their families. Everyone had their own term to describe 'family' For those who lost their parents, partner or children, God gave them a new meaning of family. Who said it only had to be blood-related?

Clint poured Wanda her favorite wine. Natasha laughed at some joke Tony made. Thor was emptying the turkey on his plate while Steve and Sam tried to convince Bucky he looked good in this Reindeer onesie. Apparently, when the broken souls come together, they did make one big loving family.

The Avengers family was having a Christmas dinner together in the compound. It would have been as perfect as it could get, if something wasn't missing. Someone.

"He's not coming?" Y/n decided to ask, and Thor froze mid-motion before he could put that fork in his mouth.

The Thunder God sighed and lowered his hand. "I believe he would rather be alone... as always. I did invite him though, but he said he'd just read in his room." Thor shrugged. The joy was slowing fading away from his eyes - both real and fake one. It was the first Christmas for the Odinson brothers since they lived on Earth, and suddenly, talking about Loki felt like talking about the Grinch to The Whos.

"No one should be alone on Christmas, Thor." Y/n gave her Asgardian friend a soft smile even though deep down the girl knew Loki would probably be an exception. She tried not to sigh, grabbing a plate and filling it with turkey and cranberry sauce before heading toward the door.

"You know it's probably no use, right?" Thor called after, and y/n stopped in her tracks.

"I know." Was all her response. Then she continued her steps out the room.

~~~

Loki's trance was broken by the knocking on his door. His gaze left the window and to the direction. "It's me, y/n." The voice from the other side said, and the God went quiet for a few seconds, thinking of what would be the matter she came for his help. Of course she'd want something, right? People always wanted something when it came to him, otherwise no one would think of him, especially on Christmas where they'd have fun with their friends. Left him be forgotten. After all, it wasn't something new.

"Come in." He said and the door slowly cracked open. Y/n entered his room with a plate in hand. It smelled delicious! Suddenly Loki remembered he hadn't eaten anything for day, and his stomach instinctively growled.

"I brought you something" Y/n said with a smile. She placed the food on his nightstand table, and fidgeted nervously. Loki still made her nervous, but she didn't think it was in a bad way.

"That's very thoughtful of you. Thank you, dear." He smiled politely. There was a little awkward moment when y/n just stood there when she should have turned around and walked away already. Not that Loki resented her presence. He always enjoyed her company. The thing was he thought she'd want to be down there having a good time with the Avengers instead of being here with him. And it occurred to Loki that she looked like she came here to speak something to him, and not just to deliver his meal. Then his previous thought flooded back through his head: she came to ask for a favor. Right, it must be. Why else would she be here? Get real, Loki. You can't possibly think she's simply here because she wanted to be with you. That's ridiculous. You're not Thor!

"Is there anything I can-"

"You shouldn't be alone, you know," Y/n cut him off, "It's Christmas." She added when he started to look like a confused puppy.