27. behind closed door

Y/n noticed there was something wrong with Loki. The problem was there was always something wrong with Loki.

This time, however, was different.

///

She was never really a huge fan of the idea of Loki making his indefinite stay here in the Avengers compound. But, according to Tony, it was better to have him here, where the team knew his whereabouts, than for them not to know where he was or what mischief he was up to. That and the fact Thor did anything but threatened everyone to give Loki a shelter he apparently needed, they needed after Asgard was no more.

After Asgard was no more the Odinson brothers were basically homeless, and Thor insisted it was either him and Loki got a place to sleep in or he and Loki would find somewhere else to sleep. Part of the reasons was, well, for Thor's sake. Thor had helped so much in the past - they couldn't just kick him out.

Before the Avengers knew it Loki was one of them, having his own room just on the same floor as the rest of the team.

~~~

Two months went by since they took Loki in. Two months and there was no murder, no taking-over-Earth attempt. Which was good. Loki kept quiet, and kept most to himself. Not much contact with anyone (not surprising) and he spent most his time in his room.

(He was still that weird, creepy godlike - literal crazed God - in everyone's opinion, but as long as he didn't actually commit any wrong...)

It was on the first week of the third month that y/n noticed something seemed... off about the God of Mischief. More off than usual. She seated in her favorite loveseat, favorite book in hand, her eyes, however, secretly studied Loki. It was breakfast time. They often had breakfast in the dining room. Loki often had breakfast in the dining room with the team (obviously he wasn't talkative; a cup of morning tea and a plate of waffles, and he was in the corner eating alone despite Thor's attempts to invite him to join their chitchatting)

Today Loki did not have breakfast in the dining room. Nor was yesterday. Or the day before yesterday.

Y/n did not know Loki that well, but anyone could guess Loki was a neat person - God, whatever - and she couldn't see why'd someone as neat as Loki would suddenly want a breakfast in his room when he had already spent months eating here with his no-food-in-my-room policy.

Here watching him with sharp eyes; Loki was stuffing those pancakes in his jacket thinking no one was watching (idiot) Part of y/n wanted to laugh, it wouldn't even be this weird, if he were to just straight up take the food to his room instead of sneaking around like this. And what about the milk? She never knew Loki liked milk. As far as she was aware of she only ever saw him drink tea. Maybe coffee when he felt like it. But milk was a bit odd for someone like him.

Then, with loads of pancakes and a whole bottle of fresh milk he quickly disappeared out the door and towards his room. Y/n's eyes followed. She had the urge to follow. But there was still this tiny part inside her that wasn't one hundred percent certain Loki was indeed up to something. What if it was a reach? It could be a reach. Her being paranoid.

Loki had always been an unpredictable creeps.

She returned her gaze to her book, sipping on her tea and did not think about it for the rest of the day.

~~~

Insomnia hit that night. Y/n couldn't sleep and thought she might as well have herself a little relaxation. The compound's terrace would do. She had always liked stargazing alone. During the short journey to the elevator she stopped and took a couple steps backward when she walked past Loki's room.