64. my love will clothe your bones

Loki hated birthdays. Mobius thought he should do something to change that.

///

Pairing: Loki/Mobius M. Mobius

A little Lokius fic I wrote in honour of today (December 17) being Loki's birthday, according to Wiki Fandom. I hope you enjoy!

///

Loki hated birthdays, especially his own, and he had his reasons. He absentmindedly thought, leaning back against Mobius's armchair, with Mobius's jet ski magazine flopped down on his lap, in the Agent's cubicle until he was comfortable, back to the first time he started hating birthdays. It was after Thor's failed coronation, after he stumbled upon the Casket of Ancient Winters and, upon touching it, his skin turned blue, ice cold.

He started hating birthdays ever since, for it reminded him of the day he was found, no, stolen. Odin could sugarcoat it however he liked, but the truth was, his rightful death had been robbed and he was forced to live his life in a shadow, as a relic. And his 'birthday' only served one purpose; to remind him of that fact.

He fought the urge to roll his eyes. Today was his birthday. He wondered if Mobius remembered from the files he'd studied about Loki, probably for a hundred times and more, and hoped he did not, so he could pretend like today was yet another boring day working for the TVA as Mobius's partner, and if he was the agent's lover by night... well, that was another story. The point was, there was nothing to celebrate. Loki's birthday wasn't even actually the day he was born but the day he was, to be precise, stolen.

He greeted Mobius with a sweet smile when the analyst returned to his desk from his little trip to the archives, with the variant's file tucked in his arm, not Loki's but the variant they were currently trying to track down.

The thing about Mobius was, he could be hard to read sometimes, and Loki wished Mobius would go easy on him, because right now he wanted to ask what was on his mind, if it was Loki's birthday. A surprise party was obviously off the table, which was a relief, for Loki was certain Ravonna wouldn't agree to such a thing to take place in the TVA.

But he hoped, prayed, Mobius completely forgot about it, because really, Loki truly, genuinely wanted to forget about it.

~~~

Maybe he did get lucky and Mobius did forget, because Mobius hadn't mentioned anything about birthday for the rest of the day, not during the work-hour, not during the lunch break. And if he could have their evening, after returning home together, spent without either of them — but obviously it wasn't going to be Loki — bringing up the subject, they both would go to bed and wake up to a new day that wasn't Loki's birthday. So that was the plan, to make it through this evening and through the night.

"What're ya watching?" Mobius's voice snapped Loki out of his little trance. He wasn't really paying full attention to the rerun of Bates Motel that was playing on their television, but he did find the show interesting nonetheless.

"Some drama," Loki shrugged, and reflexively leaned in when Mobius took a spot on the couch next to him, with an arm around Loki's shoulders.

"Murders and drama," Mobius hummed to himself, having finished the show before.

"A perfect combination," Loki purred softly in agreement. His head rested against the crook of Mobius's neck.

They spent the next forty minutes bathing in each other's presences, simply enjoying the comfort the atmosphere held, and the touch of their skin. So it was more of the couple enjoying being here in each other's arms than them watching the show. When the end credits rolled, Loki lazily nuzzled a little against Mobius's neck, making a sound that came dangerously close to the one a house cat would make.