58. that dream always ends with the sunrise

"Wasn't that a close call?" Mobius chuckled, though he was still panting, adrenaline rushing through his every atom. His heart was pounding frantically against his rib cage he could hear the sound of it, and was sure Loki could, too.

"Loki?" Mobius turned around, when the only response he received was silence, and that, that was when he thought his heart did stop then and there.
The Time Door had closed before him, and Loki was nowhere to be seen.

///

Relationship: Loki/Mobius M. Mobius

This was a request from an anon on my Tumblr who asked for a Lokius fic where Loki and Mobius went on a mission, and when they were about to return to the TVA, the Tempad acted up which caused the Time Door to close before Loki could step through it (so only Mobius came back) Thus Loki believed Mobius intentionally abandoned him.

I had fun exploring Loki's abandonment issues so I hope you'll have as much fun reading it.

Title is a quote from Netflix's Midnight Mass.

///

Loki knew from the beginning, whatever this was he had going on with Mobius, it was simply too good to be true. A fragment of a dream his younger, much, much more naive self had. Because it wasn't real, none of it was real. To be loved the way he loved, that was fiction. Or at least it didn't happen to someone like him.

Mobius never felt the same. The affection Mobius showed — whether it be platonic or if it was something more — it was all a tool to get the informations the TVA needed from him, a dangerous variant, a villain.

In the end it was only a matter of time until Mobius abandoned him. They all did.

And Loki thought he heard himself laugh, when the Time Door shut in his face and he was suddenly, without warning, alone; completely stranded in this apocalypse with nothing to protect himself with. No food. No shelter. No weapon.

Mobius left. Just like that. But Loki knew he was the one to blame. After all it was you who thought Mobius at least pitied you, if the kindness Mobius gave was all an act to get what the TVA wanted. He was partly aware of himself falling on his knees, laughing brokenly, because what else was he supposed to do? If he wasn't laughing, Loki knew he'd be weeping, and he liked to think he still had the tiniest bit of dignity left in him, even after everything.

Right, he thought. It was about time. They were on a mission, a dangerous mission in a dangerous planet, an apocalypse. And while they'd had a blush with death just less than half an hour ago, they'd made it out alive. No, Mobius made it out alive.

If anything the only person Loki resented right now was himself. He should've seen it coming. But he'd actually seen it coming, he'd simply lied to himself — the way Mobius lied, the way everybody lied to him — that maybe this time it was different, Mobius was different. Although deep down he'd always knew he was meant to be alone. Mobius's suddenly abandoning him wasn't really surprising, though it did hurt. And that, that hurt gnawing at Loki's chest, was the worst of it all.

You fool. You knew better than this. He could leave you, that's how it works, he couldn't — shouldn't — have the power to hurt you. You gave him that power. Pathetic.

Loki stayed where he was, on his knees, facing the spot where the Time Door was closed in his face, before he could follow Mobius like a dog. And hated himself even more that the childish, naive part of him still hoped for this to be a mistake, for the Time Door to magically reopen in front of him and for Mobius to come back for him.

It wasn't a mistake, Loki knew that. This was a calculated plan; to bring him here where he couldn't find his way back before leaving him stranded.