70. home sweet (finally) home

Loki had always disliked it when Mobius brought home the TVA work, for the TVA work should always stay at the TVA. To be precise, Loki hated everything and anything Mobius brought home with, because it meant Mobius's attention was about to be divided from Loki and to whatever he brought back that evening.

He was rightfully shocked, petrified, too stunned to speak, when Mobius brought home a tiny black kitten, tucked nicely in his arms, one raining night.

///

Pairing: Loki/Mobius M. Mobius

///

It was Loki's day off and there was a nasty storm, painting the night, starless sky red. Loki was growing more worried as minutes went by and Mobius still hadn't walked through that door. He checked the watch for the third time in the past thirty minutes. Mobius should have been home by now. There was no mission, not that Loki knew of, but Ravonna's new policy was making it less convenient for all Analysts, Hunters and Minutemen to travel without the help of a Tempad and a Time Door; something about saving the environment and saying no to personal use of the technology. Or, a Tempad was only allowed when it was work-related from now on.

(Which Loki understood. He simple wished there was an exception, like right now when it was raining cat and dog, and Mobius didn't own a car. So it was him and the TVA's service bus, plus a ten-minute walk, until he'd reach their shared apartment; Mobius's own apartment, to be precise, Loki only said yes when Mobius asked if he'd love to move in — he didn't say the exact words, but whatever this was called, Loki and Mobius were roommates ever since.)

The sound of the door being opened could still be heard, disregard the roaring from the sky. Loki quickly turned his head in the direction and jumped up from the couch to greet his not-really-lover-but-still-more-than-friend (it was... complicated, and neither Loki nor Mobius had yet to bring up the subject of labelling their relationship.)

Mobius was soaked in the rain, dripping wet from head to toe, as he hurried inside and closed the door behind. Loki opened his mouth, he was already getting ready to fetch Mobius a towel to help dry him off when something stopped him dead in his tracks, leaving him paralyzed and speechless.

In Mobius's arm was a black tiny ball of fluff (not actually fluff, since everything was soaked in the rain) and it was shaking. Mobius was shaking, too, but only a little, not as bad as that thing he held so tenderly in his arm. And that thing was making a noise; a meowing.

"Mobius," Loki said, when he finally, finally found his voice. Though moving a muscle was still too difficult a job as of now. He couldn't look away from the thing — the creature — Mobius brought home with. What's happening, Loki had no idea, but he didn't like it. "What... is this?"

"Huh?" Mobius looked at him for the first time since he retuned home, having rid himself of his boots and his jacket. But it was the look in Mobius's eyes that bothered Loki the most; so nonchalant, so clueless, as if he had no idea what he was doing.

"What..." Loki was still at a loss for words, though he did manage to shift his eyes up from the meowing creature and to Mobius's face, then back at the meowing creature again. "Wha — what..." He stuttered, utter shock in his voice like Mobius had just betrayed him. (He did, didn't he?)

"Wha... oh," finally it clicked. Mobius looked at the thing in his arm, and at Loki, still too nonchalant. "This? I brought a stray."

~~~

Loki had been uncharacteristically (or not-at-all uncharacteristically) hostile the second Mobius brought home with him the stray.

"I found him on my way home," Mobius said, when Loki — hurt and confused — gave him the silence treatment and made it Mobius's own job to dry himself. (Usually, Loki would dry him up and put him in clean, comforting clothes. It'd become an unspoken rule between them... not exactly a rule but a pattern where Loki would take care of Mobius and Mobius would return the favor. So it was completely normal for anybody to see them fixing each other's ties when they were at the TVA.)