60. darkness it shines the brightest

There was something off with Mobius, Loki could tell that much.

He feared he might have done something wrong to provoke Mobius's resentfulness, drove away his only friend. He could never be ready to find out the root of Mobius's suddenly turning cold, was far more sinister than he'd imagined.

///

Pairing: Loki/Mobius M. Mobius

Finally!! A vampire Lokius fic inspired by Midnight Mass! Happy Halloween ;)

///

"And whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood will remain in me, and I in them." — Gospel of John.

______________________________

Loki tried to brush it off as some minor issues at first, the reason behind Mobius's absence at the cubicle, even if his guts suggested a real problem may have reared its head. Because Mobius never took a sick leave, and Loki had seen Mobius come down with a flu before, a pretty bad one actually, and even then, he'd shown up at work. (It took a lot of convincing from Loki and Ravonna, Loki's physically manhandling him to bed and a direct order from Ravonna, to get him to rest)

So Mobius's sudden absence was... weird. Especially when it'd been three days of no single word from the analyst.

Though it wasn't like Loki couldn't function without Mobius. Sure, having the man around was nice, although he'd never admit that, but he wasn't helpless working without a partner. Or, Loki tried to make himself believe that.

It was... frustrating. Mobius just randomly disappeared. It was even more frustrating when Loki realized, the harder he tried not to think about Mobius, the more he thought about him.

He huffed out an air and snapped shut the file in his hand. He wasn't getting any work done anyway. The archives were surprisingly empty, not literally but, Loki supposed, metaphorically. He could lie to himself, oh, Loki did that a lot, living up to his title as the God of Lies, but it was becoming more difficult to ignore that loneliness gnawing at his chest, at the emptiness of the seat opposite the table from him, the spot where Mobius usually sat. Their usual spot.

He picked the Tempad out of his pocket. After months of working with the TVA, as Mobius's partner, he'd eventually earned himself enough trust from Ravonna, and she granted him a Tempad of his own (which may or may not have something to do with Mobius's negotiating skills, when he talked to her about why Loki deserved a Tempad, too.) Staring at the device, he knew too well where the location on its screen was, having set it up since yesterday but never actually going through with it, Mobius's apartment.

No, Ravonna had said, yesterday, when Loki asked if she thought it was a good idea for him to pay Mobius a little visit. He's fine, Loki. He just needs some time alone.

Bullshit. Of course, Loki hadn't said that aloud. Ravonna may have started to warm up to the idea of having him around, but he wouldn't get too familiar with her.

Something was off. Something she knew and wouldn't tell. And Loki had lost track of time; how long he'd been staring at the Tempad in his hold, at the location of Mobius's apartment where Mobius supposedly was.

I don't trust you, Loki thought. No, he never trusted Ravonna. She was keeping something from him, and Loki might even pay it no mind, hadn't it involved Mobius.

He earned himself no unwanted attention when he eventually gave in and opened the Time Door, considering everybody else was minding their own business. Good. Loki took a deep breath, then he walked through it.

~~~

He was almost too afraid to knock, standing in front of Mobius's door and looking understandably out of place, like he shouldn't be here. He shouldn't. But since when did he start following rules?