𝟷𝟺-𝚂𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙽𝚎𝚠

3.3k words
༻✦༺

(y/n)'s POV
Holding my phone to my ear; I just finished explaining to my boss what my current situation was, "They said it all happened so fast, and they have no idea who was involved." I sighed while I leaned my back into the hospital chair next to Jackson's bed.

The sound of the beeping, signaling his vitals, has been parading my ears for the last couple of hours. He was currently in a coma with a tube down his throat. The doctors said they're unsure if he's going to make it or not, apparently only time will tell.

"I'm so sorry you have to go through something as tragic as this," Kenobi comforted; his voice infused with sympathy, "Just take the time you need, and I do hope everything works out."

I smiled, thankful that he was understanding that I'll probably have to take a few days off. With Jackson's parent's in another state right now, on business—they're currently trying to fly back in—I have to stay to make all the decisions for his care, "Thanks Doctor Kenobi." I thanked him, and I was about to hang up, but he stopped me before I could.

"Wait, before you go, I wanted to ask you something about your notes."

Is this really the right time?

"Sure what did you want to know?" I asked instead of saying what was really on my mind, in fear of sounding rude.

"It's about the notes regarding a head injury on Anakin." He informed me, and I instantly knew what he was talking about; the strange mark on Anakin's temple, or should I say temples. I noticed another on the other side while he was leaving yesterday, "Did he say anything about it; anything at all?"

My mind went to his reluctance to answer the question about it, as well as his reluctance to answer me about his strange condition the other day. I strongly believed that the incidents are connected somehow; my gut told me that they were. Although I had no proof, or any theories as of right now; I haven't been able to dig just yet.

And I don't know why, but there was a voice warning me to be careful with whatever I was going to say next; and that voice sounded like Anakin's. Lie, "No not really, I figured he just hit his head or something."

"And that's all?" He asked again; his voice serious. I furrowed my brows at the suspicious amount of urgency regarding this topic.

"Yes sir." I reassured him; doing by best to sound convincing, "That's all, he wasn't as talkative as he usually is." I remarked.

"Well alright then, I just wanted to make sure he was alright," His voice went back to sounding cheerful, "Keep me updated darling, I'll talk to you soon."

"Of course." I hung up the phone with a sigh, and placed it back inside of my purse. His behavior was a bit odd, and I took a mental note of it to get back to that puzzle later. But as of right now, my attention was needed elsewhere.

I lifted my gaze, and it landed on Jackson's weak, and fragile state. Then I sighed and leaned my head back against the chair; closing my eyes. Would I feel pain if Jackson died? Would I actually care? Or would I rejoice in the freedom? And if I did rejoice; does that make me a bad person?

I couldn't explain how I felt right now, a part of me hoped he didn't wake up, that this would be my escape. But then this other part of me, the less selfish part, hoped he made it through; for his mom, his dad, his brother, and his niece who happens to adore him.