Chapter 10: That zone

Fhallon's POV:

The weather was extremely hot. I grabbed the phone to order two iced matcha to be delivered from Alibrandi's café for me and Rachel.

Rachel has been helpful for the past few days. She's a very committed young intern. I haven't even talked to her about what I found out at the address I went to. I also need to talk to Nina Jones but all in good time. All in good time.

I spun my chair from side to side, looking outside my office where Rachel is now talking with Jeanie. Jeanie, is Richard's assistant. She signalled to me about something and because I didn't get what it was, I called Rachel back to put Jeanie on the phone.

"Jeanie, what was that?" I asked, mimicking the signals she gave.

"Oh sorry, I meant Richard wants to see you. Now," she said.

"Ah Jeanie, can you please tell him I'll meet him after, I have a zoom interview, let's see, in ten minutes." I said checking the time on my watch.

I have a scheduled interview with Spencer Michelson, a business woman who is setting up more shelters for the homeless.

She nodded, "Sure."

I saw the delivery man bringing Rachel the matchas as I put the phone down.

"You got your matchas," Rachel said, opening the door and walking in.

"Thank you, here's one for you," I said getting my one and left the other one for her.

"Oh, thank you," she said, smiling and walking away. I smiled too.

Took a huge sip from the matcha and put my headsets on.

"Good afternoon Mrs. Michelson," I greeted my news client for the day.

__________________________________

My skype session with Spencer Michelson took me about an hour. I drank up the last bit of my matcha before heading off to Richards' office. I knocked on his door.

"Come in." he said. "Take a sit."

"I'm good Richard, I prefer to stand." I said.

"Fine. What's the update on Carlos? The Salvador pitch?", he asked

"I uh, I uh...." I stuttered, pacing around the room.

"Tanner, what's the matter with you? You're making my eyeballs crossed with you walking back and forth like that."

"Sorry." I said, still doing the back and forth walk.

"So? The update?", he asked raising his eyebrows.

"Honestly, I don't know." I said, holding myself back from what I know so far. "I .... I can't tell you ...yet. Not right now."

"What do you mean?" he asked, as he starts to give me a cold glance.

"Not until I'm finished with it. I mean this story has been buried, and digging it up takes a whole lot of time, it's a big process and I don't want to – I tried to explain not knowing and understanding what I was even saying to him.

"Tanner, I don't think you have a choice here, I'm your boss and I demand – "he didn't quite finish.

"Richard, would you stop please.?" I said, as the strong tone fades off realizing I was talking to my boss. "Look, you gave me this assignment for a reason so you....... need to trust me. Please?"

He paused and eyed me with curiosity. "Hmmmm, I don't know Tanner."

I looked at him with widened eyes, wondering when have I ever let him down. Uh never !!!!

He sighed "Fine, it's your call Tanner. I'll trust you on this."

Jeanie knocked on the door. "Sorry boss, but there's a Russell here, for Fhallon."

RUSSELL? I said internally.

"Yeah, yeah, get out of my office now. We're done here anyways. Don't disappoint me Tanner," he called out as he waved me off.

Jeanie popped up to my face again when I was on my way to Russell, "oh my gosh Fhallon, he's so hot and handsome. So hot and handsome." She whispered with sparkling eyes, a whisper that almost felt like a scream to my ears. "Is he your boyfriend or what?"

"What? No, he's a friend." I said as I continue to walk.

"Friend? You liar. You're so lucky, I hate you." Jeanie turned and walked back to her desk.

I poked my head around the front desk to check him out first. I haven't seen him for a while and I think it's the longest that's ever been.

Oh great, I can see his back. I walked towards him. "Russell?"

He turned around to look at me. "Hi Tanner," he said smiling then hugging me.

"Do you want to go for a walk?" He said, taking a glance at the receptionist. I nodded. I followed him down the stairs, out of the building.

During our walk, we were quiet for the first two minutes. We walked aimlessly, looked at each other and just smiled. It was a bit ... awkward.

"I've been calling you – "I said and Russell at the same time said "I'm sorry I've missed your calls – "

We stopped and chuckled at each other.

"I'm sorry I missed your calls," he said softly.

"Missed them? Or you just didn't want to answer them?" I asked, sarcastically. I already knew he didn't want to answer after what happened but I still had to ask.

"You're right. I didn't want to take them. I know I told you that night to forget what happened but afterwards I felt weirder about it than when it happened," he said.

"Russell, it's okay," I said.

"No, listen. I uh I have to say this. I like you Tanner. I really do. I thought about it for some time about what to do with how I feel and telling you was the answer that came to me. I don't expect you to say anything back, I just wanted to let you know."

I took a breath, not knowing what to say at first but in the end the words that came out were "Russell, I'm sorry, I really am sorry. We've been friends for such a long time and .... I don't want us to ruin that. I don't want to lose that."

"I know I know. Like I said, I just wanted to let it out."

"I'm so sorry. I truly am." I said apologetically.

"Don't be. Please. Let's just ..:.. move on from this and ........ get some coffee?" he asked looking around for a nearby café until he spotted one.

I just smiled and nodded and followed him as lead the way.