Chapter 57

It's out. Everything. Just stared at the newspaper. Front page. I made it again. Headline "Drug epidemic in our city". Yup, this article isn't just about Salvador. It's about everyone that took part in this operation. Salvador wasn't the only one and that we know now.

My phone has been ringing all morning. One of those calls was Russell. I made sure to clarify that Salvador's family were not aware of his operations behind the scenes. I know, they're coming for me.

"Fhallon, Fhallon, are you okay ?" Rachel said walking in.

I nodded. Didn't have anything to say anymore.

"Great job Tanner," one of the reporters called out from outside.

Great job huh ? I'm gonna die because of this. But that's not the part I'm worried about. No not at all. It's the fact that I did the job, I got some proof and yet, Salvador is now in hiding. Gone!!! He saw this coming.

This is not the end of this story. The end would be Salvador behind bars. All of them. But the thing is, if Salvador is gone then the others have gone into hiding too.

"Hello," Rachel's voice broke through my thoughts.

"Sorry, I have a lot on my mind right now." I said shaking my head and streching my arms out.

She grinned. "Of course you do. This is huge. Congrats. We should celebrate. Anyways that would be later, but before I forget the very reason why I came in here, Russell is here... to see you."

My eyes wide opened. "What ?"

"Yeah, should I bring him here?" She asked

"Yes that would be great thanks. Oh and can you make sure Jeanie doesn't see him coming in." I said giving out a soft laugh.

A few minutes later, Russell was in my office letting out a sigh over sigh.

"This is huge. The police are all over this now. They're gonna question you about your evidence. Everything." He asked concerned.

"I know. The story is public for a reason." I said sarcastically.

"I told you to keep me in the loop." He said disappointed.

"This is me doing that," I said.

"We got units all over his place. No one is there. Couldn't find anything."

"I know." I said sighing.

"You knew ?" He asked.

"I checked it myself before the print. How do you think I felt when I found out?" I shook my head. "My job is done, it's your time. Look I'll give you everything that you want, because I think catching Salvador is a common goal." I said pointing at the newspaper.

"Also, you clearly stated his son, his family had no knowledge about the operations. The whole time?" He asked but with a careful tone. He knew me well. "Are you sure Hogan has nothing to do with it?"

"He didn't - he doesn't." I said.

He nodded. "Okay, I'm just checking. I would hate to find anything on him that you knew about but omit to say anything about it."

"Excuse me? Are you implying that I'm lying? I asked getting frustrated.

He just shrugged his shoulders. "I"m just saying, let's not forget he has the blood of a Salvador."

I was a bit annoyed at what he said. I don't know if I'm feeling it right, but Russell seemed like he's getting personal. And for him to say such things, I know Rosa is trying her best to raise Valentina. Valentina does not want to be a part of this. She didn't choose the family she came from. But they were in the dark as so most of the world and that's why I don't like what Russell just said. Because these people, despite the blood they shared, they are nothing like Salvador.

I scoffed, "let's just drop it okay. I'm not in the mood to debate you on this." I said, calming myself and trying to keep the peace.

I looked at my computer and typing to log in while Russell headed for the door. Before he went out, he looked back and asked "Tanner, I'm gonna do everything to protect you on this case. What about him ? Is he - going to protect you when his own father comes for you?" He asked and left before I could say anything. I knew that was a rhetorical question but somehow I feel like I failed to answer.