Chapter 15: The secret is out

I parked my car and walk to my dad's front door. Ive seen his place before but I never actually been in, considered I just came back. I was still contemplating if I should go in. I shouldn't. I don't want to. But I should. The thoughts piled up in my head.
I rang the doorbell. Once. Twice – and it was opened by the very man who I have been avoiding for weeks. "Son?" We stared at each other.
"Are you going to invite me in?", I asked, my voice so low and I failed in hiding my angry face towards him.
He nodded, and making way for me to come in.
Neither of us wanted to sit down. So we just stood there in the middle of the living room. We were quite for a while.
"Do you want – he asked but didn't quite finish.
"Cut the bullshit dad. Tell me what I need to know. And this time, I only want the truth. Where is Valentina?"
"The Sonora cartel, they have her."
"Why?"
"Because it's an ongoing war Carlos. It never ends. They want me."
"Why did my sister had to be a part of this? This is your fault."
"I never once revealed any sort of connections I had with anyone. Amalia, the woman who gave birth to Valentina, I never knew she was pregnant with my child. It was a one-time thing. She left Valentina to me and she disappeared.
Another lie. "Why should I believe anything that you're saying right now? For all I know, you could have killed this woman to get rid of her. You didn't want anyone to hold you back just like what you did with mom and me."
"Your mom knew why we had to end our relationship and move you guys away – Carlos, I still love your –
"Don't even say it. You never deserved her." I said, giving him the evil eyes.
"I know. I know. But this is not about her. Or us. This is about bringing your sister back. And I need your help, son. I truly apologize for everything that I've done and put you through all those years. I need you. Valentina needs you. You can hate me all you want after this, I deserve it. But just please, just do this for me. For Valentina."
I walked aimlessly, pacing back and forth. I didn't know what to do. But he was right about one thing, this is about getting my sister back.
"Fine, I'll do this. For Valentina. But we are not over this yet."
He nodded.
"Cartels dad. What are you? Some sort of gang leader?
"Sort of .... I'm actually one of them, for the operation here. I -"
"I think that's all I need to know." I said holding up a hand to him to stop, shaking my head. I understood that there's a lot to know about this. From my dad. But I guess I just need it one by one. Step by step. Day by day. And hopefully one day, the pieces would be together and made sense to me.

"So, what are we going to do?" I asked.